Differential form of Gauss's Law

In summary, the electric field in a model of an atomic nucleus is given by E = αr for r < a, where α is a constant and a is the radius of the nucleus. Using the differential form of Gauss's Law, the charge density ρ inside the nucleus can be calculated as ρ = (3Eε0)/r for 0 < r ≤ a, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space. However, when using the cylindrical version of the divergence, the result is missing a factor of 3.
Anti-Meson

Homework Statement

In a model of an atomic nucleus, the electric field is given by:

E = α r for r < a

where α is a constant and a is the radius of the nucleus.

Use the differential form of Gauss's Law to calculate the charge density ρ inside the nucleus.

2. The attempt at a solution

Using the simple version of Gauss's law :

[tex]\int_{S} \underline{E}.\underline{dS} = \int_{V} \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}} dV [/tex]

Yields a result [tex]\rho = \frac{3E\epsilon_{0}}{r} [/tex] for 0<r<=a

Homework Statement

However when using the differential form:

[tex]\nabla . \underline{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial (r E_{r})}{\partial r} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}} [/tex]

and when integrating with respect to r from 0 to a,

[tex] \rho = {\epsilon_{0}} E (1 + ln a ) [/tex]

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you accidently used the cylindrical version of the divergence.

Why are you integrating?

turin said:
I think you accidently used the cylindrical version of the divergence.

Why are you integrating?

I have used the cylindrical version, though this problem only depends on r so maybe use spherical? I integrated the partial differential with respect to r.

if I assume that Er is not a function of r but a constant then,

[tex] \frac{\partial (r E_{r})}{\partial r} = E_{r} [/tex]

or if i use a radial divergence from the beginning:

[tex] \nabla . E = \frac{\partial (E)}{\partial r} [/tex]

but by using that I get:

[tex] E = \frac{\rho r}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

i.e missing a factor of 3

Last edited:

1. What is the differential form of Gauss's Law?

The differential form of Gauss's Law is a mathematical expression that relates the electric field at a point to the charge density at that point. It is written as ∇ · E = ρ/ε0, where ∇ · E represents the divergence of the electric field and ρ is the charge density at the point in question. This form is useful for calculating the electric field in situations where there is a non-uniform distribution of charges.

2. How is the differential form of Gauss's Law different from the integral form?

The integral form of Gauss's Law, ∫E · dA = Q/ε0, relates the total flux of the electric field through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface. The differential form, on the other hand, relates the electric field at a specific point to the charge density at that point. The differential form is useful for calculating the electric field in non-uniform distributions, while the integral form is more useful for calculating the total electric flux through a closed surface.

3. What is the significance of the epsilon-zero term in the differential form of Gauss's Law?

The epsilon-zero term, represented by ε0, is the permittivity of free space. It is a fundamental constant in physics that relates the electric field to the charge density. It is necessary for the differential form of Gauss's Law to include this term in order to maintain its mathematical accuracy and consistency.

4. How is the differential form of Gauss's Law used in practical applications?

The differential form of Gauss's Law is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, calculating the electric field inside a capacitor, and analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in solving boundary value problems in electrostatics, where the charge density is known at certain points and the electric field needs to be calculated at other points.

5. Does the differential form of Gauss's Law apply to both point charges and continuous charge distributions?

Yes, the differential form of Gauss's Law applies to both point charges and continuous charge distributions. It can be used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a single point charge, or it can be integrated over a volume to calculate the electric field due to a continuous distribution of charges. However, for point charges, the integral form of Gauss's Law may be more convenient to use.