Undergrad Math Schools: Consider EIU & UIC + Other Suggestions

In summary: UC Berkeley has a better program than UCLA, but both are respectable.UIC has a top math program, but it is not as prestigious as some of the others. There are also good programs at Indiana, Colorado, and Georgia Tech.While I can't really say which school is better specifically because I haven't attended either, the rankings and prestige of the schools do make a difference.
Jp112358
I'm nearing the end of high school and am looking for a college/university for my undergraduate studies. I am planning to major in Mathematics with a concentraion in secondary education. I only have two schools on my list to consider/apply, they are EIU and UIC (because good teachers I know have attended these schools), however, I would like to expand the list so that I have a wider selection to choose from. Any suggestions for good undergraduate math education schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
anywhere in the world?

Yes, the location of the school doesn't matter to me.

Um i think he really means anywhere in the world that has a math program. Just go to the university close to your house

kramer733 said:
Um i think he really means anywhere in the world that has a math program. Just go to the university close to your house

Haha that's not what I meant.

MIT and the University of Waterloo are prestigious schools for math in North America.

Although it doesn't matter as much where you go for undergrad, I guess I'll just list the most prestigious/top math undergrads for you to keep in mind: Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, MIT, U of Chicago, Caltech, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, etc.

EDIT: Also, note that you should probably go to a different university for graduate school if you intend to do that. This means that if you want to try out both a public + private university for a wider spectrum, try a public university undergrad and private grad. That's my plan anyways.

Last edited:
If you want a degree in math *education*, I would not be going to MIT, and probably not any of the high-powered schools listed. I would go to a liberal arts school that has a program in it.

Both UCLA and Berkeley have math teaching programs housed in the math department.

What are the top undergraduate math schools to consider?

Some top undergraduate math schools to consider are Eastern Illinois University (EIU), University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), University of California, Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Stanford University.

What makes EIU and UIC stand out as potential choices?

EIU and UIC both have strong math programs with dedicated faculty and a variety of math courses to choose from. They also offer opportunities for undergraduate research and hands-on learning experiences.

Are there other schools besides EIU and UIC that are worth considering?

Yes, there are many other schools that have strong undergraduate math programs, such as University of California, Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Stanford University. It is important to research and consider factors like location, class size, and opportunities for research and internships when choosing a math school.

What qualities should I look for in an undergraduate math program?

Some important qualities to consider when looking for an undergraduate math program are a strong curriculum with a variety of math courses, dedicated and knowledgeable faculty, opportunities for undergraduate research and internships, and a supportive learning environment.

What are the potential career paths for someone with an undergraduate degree in math?

An undergraduate degree in math can lead to a variety of career paths, including in fields such as finance, data analysis, computer science, engineering, and academia. It can also serve as a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields like mathematics, statistics, or economics.