What is the outcome of mixing these two chemicals

In summary: They are both safe to use for cleaning separately and together. Overall, the mixture is more effective for disinfecting. In summary, using Powder Bleach and a cleaning agent separately is effective, but combining them in a mop bucket is even more effective for disinfecting. There is no risk of producing a dangerous gas when mixing these two chemicals.
mingloo
At work we use;
Powder Bleach, ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Sodium Dochloroisocyanurate
and
A cleaning agent, ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Sodium Dodecylbenzene sulfonate

These two chemicals are to be used separately but we have the sudden rumour that when mixed in a mop bucket it is significantly more effective than using just the Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate. I entirely disagree, suggesting that the mixture of the two could produce a dangerous gas.

Can anyone help me to discover the outcome of mixing these two chemicals?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looking at their structures, they seem to be unreactive with each other.

mingloo said:
At work we use;
Powder Bleach, ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Sodium Dochloroisocyanurate
and
A cleaning agent, ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Sodium Dodecylbenzene sulfonate

These two chemicals are to be used separately but we have the sudden rumour that when mixed in a mop bucket it is significantly more effective than using just the Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate. I entirely disagree, suggesting that the mixture of the two could produce a dangerous gas.

Can anyone help me to discover the outcome of mixing these two chemicals?

Thanks!

won't produce anything. in general 2 large anions (Na+ is not active) will not react. it may be more effective because one is a surfactant and the other somehow stabilizes the surfactant emulsions.

The dichloroisocyanurate is a compound that continuously releases small amounts of chlorine and the alkane sulfonate is a detergent. Using them together are more effective than using them separately for disenfecting. You probably wouldn't notice anything special about the mix's ability to clean grease or grime but it will certainly make a better cleaner/disenfecting solution. This form of chlorine is not very reactive with the alkane sulfonate since the chlorine it produces is always in fairly low amounts.

No gas when you mix these two together.

The outcome of mixing these two chemicals is difficult to determine without further information. However, it is important to note that mixing chemicals, especially in a work setting, should always be done with caution and under the guidance of a trained professional. Both Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate and Sodium Dodecylbenzene sulfonate are strong chemicals and can have potentially dangerous reactions when mixed together. It is not recommended to mix these chemicals without proper knowledge and safety precautions. It is possible that the mixture could produce a gas that can be harmful to inhale or cause other negative effects. It is always best to follow the instructions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer for safe and effective use of these chemicals.

1. What will happen when these two chemicals are mixed together?

The outcome of mixing two chemicals depends on their individual properties and the reaction that takes place between them. It is important to carefully research and understand the chemicals before mixing them to avoid any potential hazards.

2. Is it safe to mix these two chemicals?

The safety of mixing two chemicals depends on their properties and the reaction that occurs. Some combinations may produce toxic or flammable gases, while others may have no reaction at all. It is important to consult with a trained professional and follow safety protocols when mixing chemicals.

3. Can mixing these two chemicals create a new compound?

Yes, when two chemicals are mixed, they may undergo a chemical reaction and form a new compound with different properties than the original chemicals. This process is known as chemical synthesis and is commonly used in scientific research and industrial processes.

4. How can I predict the outcome of mixing these two chemicals?

Predicting the outcome of mixing two chemicals requires a thorough understanding of their individual properties and potential reactions. Scientists use tools such as chemical equations, reaction tables, and computer simulations to predict the potential outcomes of chemical mixtures.

5. What should I do if I accidentally mix these two chemicals?

If you accidentally mix two chemicals, it is important to stay calm and immediately consult with a trained professional. Depending on the chemicals, the reaction may produce harmful gases or substances, so it is important to follow safety protocols and seek medical attention if necessary.