Register to reply

Fermi distribution

by aaaa202
Tags: distribution, fermi
Share this thread:
aaaa202
Nov5-13, 01:07 PM
P: 1,005
My book notes, that at a given temperature the ratio of the total number of particles in the fermi gas to the total number lying within (ε-kT,ε+kT) is given by:
T/TF (1)
And that each of these particles has an energy of ≈kT (2).
I can't see where this comes from? :S Could anyone explain (1) and (2)?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Organic photovoltaic cells of the future: Charge formation efficiency used to screen materials
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
Structure of certain types of beetle shells could inspire brighter, whiter coatings and materials
hokhani
Nov23-13, 08:08 AM
P: 269
As far as I know, to estimate the heat capacity of metals at T>0, there is a rule of thumb that considers deflection of particles' distribution from that of at T=0 very simple. You can imagine two symmetric triangles with the length equal to KT and width equal to 1/2 near the Fermi energy which is made by interceptions of the two Fermi distributions, one at T=0 and the other at T>0. At T>0 the particles which were in the left triangle (at T=0) would enter to the right triangle and their energy change is approximately KT(the reply to the part 2 of your question). Now if you calculate the ratio of number of all particles which is [itex]\epsilon_f[/itex] to the number of particles in the region [[itex]\epsilon_f -kT, \epsilon_f +kT [/itex]](which is approximately the area under the triangle) you will get to part 1.

Register to reply