How can I plot Z for a set of chokes?

• Thread starter hobbs125
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot Set
In summary, the person is looking for a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz-40kHz. They have a frequency generator, a variable power supply, and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer. They are advised to use an RL circuit and work out the math for attenuation and phase shift to choose a suitable value for R.
hobbs125
Hello everyone,

I need to find a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. Any ideas how I can do that? I have a frequency generator, a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hobbs125 said:
Hello everyone,

I need to find a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. Any ideas how I can do that? I have a frequency generator, a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer.

If you just need the Z at 10kHz, then there is no frequency range involved. What is the equation for Vout/Vin for an RL circuit? How can you apply that now? :smile:

I want to actually measure the impedance from 30-40 kHz and plot it against the frequency.

hobbs125 said:
I want to actually measure the impedance from 30-40 kHz and plot it against the frequency.

Then just use an RL circuit. Put your oscilloscope probe #1 at the output of the signal generator before the R, and probe #2 between the R and L (far side of L goes to ground). Work out the math for the attenuation and phase shift versus frequency, to help you choose a good value of R for a given L.

There are a few different methods you can use to plot the impedance of a set of chokes. One option is to use a vector network analyzer (VNA) which is specifically designed for measuring impedance across a range of frequencies. This would provide you with precise and accurate results.

If a VNA is not available, you can use the equipment you mentioned - a frequency generator, variable power supply, and oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer - to plot the impedance. First, you will need to set up the circuit with the chokes in series and connect it to the frequency generator. Vary the frequency of the generator and measure the voltage and current at each frequency using the oscilloscope. From these measurements, you can calculate the impedance using the formula Z=V/I, where V is the voltage and I is the current.

Once you have the impedance values at different frequencies, you can plot them on a graph using a spreadsheet software or a specialized impedance plotting software. This will give you a visual representation of the impedance across the frequency range and can help identify any patterns or trends.

It is important to note that the accuracy of your measurements will depend on the quality of your equipment and the precision of your circuit setup. It is recommended to calibrate your equipment and perform multiple measurements to ensure reliable results.

Overall, using a VNA or the equipment you have available, you can successfully plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. I hope this helps and good luck with your measurements.

1. How do I determine the correct chokes for my plot?

The correct chokes for your plot will depend on the specific parameters of your experiment, such as the type of data you are collecting, the range of values you are measuring, and the desired level of precision. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with other experts in your field before selecting the appropriate chokes.

2. What is the purpose of using chokes in a plot?

Chokes are used in a plot to limit the range of values that are displayed, making it easier to visualize patterns and relationships within the data. They can also help to reduce noise and highlight important data points.

3. How can I customize the chokes in my plot?

Many plotting software programs offer options for customizing chokes, such as setting specific ranges or intervals, adjusting the number of chokes, and selecting the type of choke (e.g. linear or logarithmic). These options can typically be found in the settings or formatting menu of the program.

4. Is it possible to plot Z for a set of chokes without using specialized software?

While using specialized software can make plotting Z for a set of chokes easier and more efficient, it is possible to manually plot chokes using a basic graphing tool. However, this may require more time and effort to accurately determine and plot the correct chokes.

5. How can I interpret the data shown in a plot with chokes?

Interpreting the data shown in a plot with chokes requires careful consideration of the chosen parameters and understanding of the underlying data. Chokes can help to highlight trends and patterns, but it is important to also consider the full range of data and any potential outliers that may be hidden by the chokes.