How can I plot Z for a set of chokes?

by hobbs125
Tags: chokes, plot
Share this thread:
hobbs125
Apr27-14, 12:59 PM
P: 104
Hello everyone,

I need to find a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. Any ideas how I can do that? I have a frequency generator, a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Future phones to use blood and speech to monitor HIV, stress, nutrition
Neuron circuit may enable pitch perception applications
Quasi-distributed temperature sensors from draw-tower fabrication technology
berkeman
Apr27-14, 05:22 PM
Mentor
P: 40,926
Quote Quote by hobbs125 View Post
Hello everyone,

I need to find a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. Any ideas how I can do that? I have a frequency generator, a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer.
If you just need the Z at 10kHz, then there is no frequency range involved. What is the equation for Vout/Vin for an RL circuit? How can you apply that now?
hobbs125
Apr27-14, 07:06 PM
P: 104
I want to actually measure the impedance from 30-40 kHz and plot it against the frequency.

berkeman
Apr28-14, 10:19 AM
Mentor
P: 40,926
How can I plot Z for a set of chokes?

Quote Quote by hobbs125 View Post
I want to actually measure the impedance from 30-40 kHz and plot it against the frequency.
Then just use an RL circuit. Put your oscilloscope probe #1 at the output of the signal generator before the R, and probe #2 between the R and L (far side of L goes to ground). Work out the math for the attenuation and phase shift versus frequency, to help you choose a good value of R for a given L.

Register to reply