Minimum Speed for Pendulum Bob to Complete Vertical Circle

In summary, if the bullet has a speed of v/2 when it hits the pendulum bob, the bob will barely swing through a complete vertical circle.
Tyst
Q: A bullet of mass m and speed v passes completely through a pendulum bob of mass M. The bullet emerges with a speed of v/2. The pendulum bob is suspended by a stiff rod of length l and negligible mass. What is the minimum value of v such that the pundulum bob will barely swing through a complete vertical circle?

I'm having a lot of trouble with this question! I just can't seem to get my head around where to start, I've implemented the conservation of momentum equation;
mv(i) + MV(i) = mv(f) + MV(f)
as
mv = m(v/2) + MV
but i really have no idea how they want the question answered, or how to go about anwering it... :uhh: anyone have any insight?
Thanks for the time

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyst said:
I'm having a lot of trouble with this question! I just can't seem to get my head around where to start, I've implemented the conservation of momentum equation;
mv(i) + MV(i) = mv(f) + MV(f)
as
mv = m(v/2) + MV
So far, so good! Conservation of momentum does apply during the collision of bullet with pendulum. So this allows you to relate bullet speed (pre-collision) with pendulum speed (post-collision).

Now you need to know what minimum speed must the pendulum have to just make it swing up in a complete circle. Hint: What's conserved as the pendulum swings?

(By the way, the collision of bullet with pendulum is not an elastic collision.)

Heh, sorry, 'twas at the end of the chapter on elastic, i didn't think about it!
Thanks a lot for your help... would i be right, then, in thinking that the pendulum needs only enough E to reach just past the top of it's rotation, after which, gravity will act to complete the swing.
In that case, all of the kinetic E transferred to the bob will have been converted to potential E at the top of the swing...
U=mgh=K transfered=.5Mv^2
mg2l=.5M(v/2)^2
2*(mgl/M)^-2
is this along the right track?

You're almost there. The KE of the pendulum at the bottom position (just after the collision) must be enough to get it to the top position: use energy conservation. But what's the KE of the bob in terms of the bullet's speed? (In other words, what is [itex]0.5 M V^2[/itex]?)

[2*(mgl/M)^1/2 not 2! is what i ment :P]

Aaahhh! now i get it, Thanks very much for your help Doc, really appreciated.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. What are the conditions for an elastic collision to occur?

For an elastic collision to occur, the colliding objects must be considered as point masses, there must be no external forces acting on the system, and the colliding objects must bounce off each other without any deformation or loss of energy.

3. How do you calculate the velocities of the objects after an elastic collision?

The velocities of the objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses as long as the other conditions for an elastic collision are met. In this case, the final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound. In contrast, an elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.