How Does Adding Weight Affect the Distance a Cart Moves?

In summary, a shopper in a supermarket pushes a loaded cart with a horizontal force of 13 N. The cart has a mass of 33 kg. The cart will move 1.76 meters in 3.0 seconds, starting from rest (ignoring friction). To solve for this, we used the equation V^2 - V_0^2 = 2aDeltaX, where V_0 is initial velocity (0 m/s) and V is final velocity. To find the distance traveled in 3.0 seconds if the shopper places his 30 N child in the cart before pushing it, we need to consider the weight of the child (30 N) and find either the mass of the child or the weight
BunDa4Th
A shopper in a supermarket pushes a loaded cart with a horizontal force of 13 N. The cart has a mass of 33 kg.

(a) How far will it move in 3.0 s, starting from rest? (Ignore friction.) M

(b) How far will it move in 3.0 s if the shopper places his 30 N child in the cart before he begins to push it? M

I figure out A but stuck on B and have no clue what to do after getting it incorrect 3 times.

for A I did F = ma a = .39 then I used V = at to get V = 1.17
then i used V^2 - V_0^2 = 2aDeltaX to get DeltaX = 1.76m

I tried using something like that for b but incorrect.

I tried finding a_x and a_y but it gave me an incorrect answer. Any pointer would be very helpful. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the child is 30N, so what is the child's mass?

Btw, for the first, you could have as well used s = 0.5at^2

i think the trick here is tt they gave you mass of cart and weight of baby...so jus find either mass of baby or weight of cart then sum them up and treat them as a big object. After that i think you can get distance using EOM.

Thanks a lot that really helped out.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its velocity, either by changing its speed or direction of motion. The magnitude and direction of the force will determine the resulting acceleration of the object.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These forces act on objects at both the macroscopic and microscopic level, and play a crucial role in the behavior of the physical world.