Organic Chem Help: Alkyl Halide to Alcohol, Alkene, Alkyne, alkene to Alcohol

In summary, the conversation discusses various reactions involving alkyl halides and how to convert them into alcohols, alkenes, and alkynes. The speaker struggles with understanding some of the reactions but is given a helpful link and advice to work backwards from the final product. Eventually, they come to understand the conversions.
Tensaiga
hello, ok i will get straight to the point i don't get the following questions:
Indicate the following type of reation that is taking place, and also give an example.
a) Alkyl halide to alcohol
b) Alkyl halide to alkene
c) alkyl halide to alkyne
d) alkene to an alcohol

i tried a), i got chloroethane + water ---> ethanol + hydrogen chloride
that's all i understands...who can help me out a bit?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Tensaiga said:
i tried a), i got chloroethane + water ---> ethanol + hydrogen chloride
that's all i understands...who can help me out a bit?

Yeah. Do you understand the mechanism of this reaction? If you do, you should have no difficulty with the other reactions.

This link may help.
http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/alhalrx2.htm#hal4

If you're stuck somewhere, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
ummm i still don't get it ... i just don't think c was possible, alkyl hailde to alkyne? how ? the only one that's possible of doing this was condensation reaction, i think.

Tensaiga said:
ummm i still don't get it ... i just don't think c was possible, alkyl hailde to alkyne? how ? the only one that's possible of doing this was condensation reaction, i think.

It need not be a single step conversion. Can you think of a multi step conversion to get the alkyne?
(Hint: Alkyl dihalides)

When you are stuck in conversions, a good idea is to work backwards (retrosynthesis). Start from the final product. How will you synthesize that? Try linking it to your initial product.

ok i get it now thanks.

1. What is the process for converting an alkyl halide to an alcohol?

The process for converting an alkyl halide to an alcohol involves reacting the alkyl halide with a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide, in a solvent like water or ethanol. This results in the substitution of the halide with a hydroxyl group, producing an alcohol.

2. Can an alkene be converted to an alcohol?

Yes, an alkene can be converted to an alcohol through a process called hydration. This involves reacting the alkene with water in the presence of an acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid or phosphoric acid. The double bond in the alkene is converted into a single bond, with a hydroxyl group attached to one of the carbon atoms.

3. How is an alkyne converted to an alcohol?

An alkyne can be converted to an alcohol through a process called hydroboration-oxidation. This involves reacting the alkyne with borane in the presence of a solvent, followed by oxidation with hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide. This results in the addition of two hydroxyl groups to the alkyne, producing an alcohol.

4. What is the difference between an alkene and an alkyne?

The main difference between an alkene and an alkyne is the number of carbon-carbon double bonds. An alkene has one carbon-carbon double bond, while an alkyne has two carbon-carbon triple bonds. This difference in bonding affects the reactivity and physical properties of the molecules.

5. Is it possible to convert an alcohol back to an alkyl halide?

Yes, it is possible to convert an alcohol back to an alkyl halide through a process called dehydration. This involves removing a water molecule from the alcohol, typically through the use of a strong acid catalyst, resulting in the formation of an alkene. The alkene can then be reacted with a hydrogen halide to form an alkyl halide.