Determine the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine ga

In summary, the problem involves determining the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine gas reacts with sodium. After balancing the equation, it is determined that the moles of NaCl should be 5 moles. Using the formula for calculating mass, it is found that the mass of NaCl produced is 292.2 g. Suggestions were given to guide the OP through the problem rather than providing a complete solution.
BittersweetLove
[SOLVED] Determine the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine ga

Okay...I know how to solve half the problem. I know how to balance the problem but I'm not sure what to do next. I'm really bad at this stuff.

Here's the question:

Determine the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine gas reacts with sodium. Na + Cl2 NaCl (be sure to balance the reaction first!)

And this is the balanced equation:

2 Na + Cl2 = 2 NaCl

Anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming it is reacting with excess sodium, Chlorine becomes the limiting reagent.
So the moles of NaCl should be 5 moles (since 2 : 1 = 2 stoichiometric ratio).
Using the formula:
#of moles = mass(g)/molar mass
Some basic algebra:
Mass = 5 x (22.99 + 35.45)
= 292.2 g

Hmmm...doesn't look right..
Did something wrong, anyone correct me please?

Looks fine.

Keep in mind for the future that it is better to guide the OP through suggestions, questions and hints than to write up the complete solution. The former approach is often a much more effective teaching tool. And if you haven't already, please take a look at our posting Guidelines.

Thanks. Hopefully I'm remember that for the test. *fingers crossed* It seems easy enough but when you suck at this stuff, it's hard to remember everything. Thanks again. 8)

What is the formula for determining the mass of sodium chloride produced?

The formula for determining the mass of sodium chloride produced is: mass of sodium chloride = mole ratio x molar mass of sodium chloride.

What is the mole ratio between chlorine gas and sodium chloride?

The mole ratio between chlorine gas and sodium chloride is 1:2. This means that for every 1 mole of chlorine gas, 2 moles of sodium chloride are produced.

What is the molar mass of sodium chloride?

The molar mass of sodium chloride is 58.44 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of sodium (22.99 g/mol) and chlorine (35.45 g/mol).

How many grams of sodium chloride will be produced from 2.5 moles of chlorine gas?

To determine the mass of sodium chloride produced from 2.5 moles of chlorine gas, we use the formula: mass of sodium chloride = 2.5 moles x (2 moles/1 mole) x 58.44 g/mol = 292.2 g.

What is the relationship between moles and mass in this reaction?

In this reaction, the number of moles of chlorine gas will determine the amount of sodium chloride produced. The molar ratio of 1:2 means that for every mole of chlorine gas, 2 moles of sodium chloride will be produced. The molar mass of sodium chloride also plays a role in determining the mass of the product.