Electric Dipole Transition: Selection Rules & n Transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection rules for electric dipole transitions, including the rules for changes in l and m_l. It also mentions the difference between n and l transitions and their effects on energy states. The speaker also expresses their opinion on studying selection rules in spectroscopy, mentioning that molecules are more complex than atoms.
neelakash
I referred to hyperphysics to learn that for electric dipole transition,the selection rules are

[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ l =[/tex][tex]\ 1 [/tex]

Or, [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ l =[/tex][tex]\ -1 [/tex]

And, [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ m_l =[/tex][tex]\ 0 [/tex]

Does not it include n transition?

How is n transition different from transition among the orbitals?

I mean n transition leads to different energy state...That I know.But does the transition among l lead also to different energy state?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Selection rules in spectroscopy is not a fun area to study in my opinion, and to work out all the selection rules for a particular molecular system can be quite tiresome. Atoms are a lot easier than molecules, which is what I'm assuming you are referring to.

n is one of the simpler quantum numbers from a spectroscopic point of view. It refers to the electronic energy level, and can go up or down by any integer amount, or even stay the same during a transition. It is the "principle quantum number", or the quantum number of an atomic shell.

Transitions in l require a change in the orbital angular momentum of the electron in its shell, which happens every time a photon is absorbed. Higher l means more angular momentum for the electron and a higher energy in a given n shell. I can't remember much about m_l though, sorry! I think it's the projection of l on the atomic z axis.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. The selection rules for electric dipole transitions are based on the conservation of angular momentum and parity. The change in angular momentum, represented by \Delta\ l, is indeed limited to 1 or -1. This means that the transition can only occur between orbitals that differ by one unit in their angular momentum quantum number (l). The change in the magnetic quantum number, represented by \Delta\ m_l, is limited to 0, which means that the transition can only occur within the same orbital (same l value). This selection rule is a result of the symmetry properties of the electric dipole moment operator.

Now, to address your question about n transition and how it differs from transition among orbitals - n transition refers to the change in the principal quantum number (n), which corresponds to the energy level of an electron. This type of transition can occur between any two orbitals, as long as the selection rules for angular momentum and parity are satisfied. However, the transition among orbitals, which is based on the change in angular momentum and magnetic quantum numbers, can only occur within or between orbitals with the same principal quantum number. This means that n transition can lead to a change in energy level, while transition among orbitals may not necessarily result in a change in energy level.

In summary, n transition and transition among orbitals are different in terms of the quantum numbers involved and the resulting energy changes. Both types of transitions are important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and they are governed by different selection rules. I hope this helps to clarify your confusion.

1. What is an electric dipole transition?

An electric dipole transition is a change in the energy state of an atom or molecule due to the absorption or emission of an electromagnetic radiation. This process involves the shifting of an electron from one energy level to another, resulting in the emission or absorption of a photon.

2. What are the selection rules for electric dipole transitions?

The selection rules for electric dipole transitions state that for a transition to occur, the change in the quantum number of the electron must be either +1 or -1. In addition, the total angular momentum of the system must remain conserved.

3. What is the significance of n transition in electric dipole transitions?

The letter n in electric dipole transitions refers to the principal quantum number, which represents the energy level of an electron in an atom or molecule. The n transition, therefore, indicates a change in the principal quantum number of the electron during the transition, which is governed by the selection rules.

4. How do selection rules and n transition relate to the spectral lines in an atom?

The selection rules and n transition are responsible for the specific spectral lines observed in an atom. When an electron undergoes an electric dipole transition, it emits or absorbs a photon with a specific energy level, which corresponds to a specific wavelength or frequency. This results in the characteristic spectral lines of an atom.

5. Can electric dipole transitions occur between all energy levels in an atom?

No, electric dipole transitions cannot occur between all energy levels in an atom. The selection rules dictate that the change in the quantum number of the electron must be either +1 or -1, resulting in specific allowed transitions. For example, in hydrogen, only transitions between energy levels with n values of n=1 to n=2, n=2 to n=3, and so on, are allowed.