What is a good introductory book for quantum physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good introductory quantum physics book out of curiosity. They mention their interest in relativity and how it sparked their curiosity about quantum physics. They receive suggestions for two books, one non-mathematical and one mathematical. The person decides to try the non-mathematical book first.
cfalcon
hey everyone,
could any of you recommend a good introductory quantum physics book? the thing is...i'm just interested in physics in terms of curiosity. I'm not doing physics major or anything. i always keep hearing how relativity and quantum theory are the two most believed models, but each specializes in things the other doesn't. i took a course in uni. that introduced me to relativity, so now i often get curious about what quantum physics is all about. so, that said...any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what level in terms of mathematics?

The Strange World of Quantum Mechanics by Daniel F. Styer is good, but non-mathematical.

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths is a standard mathematical introduction for physics majors.

thanx a lot...i'll try the non mathematical one first

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe how particles behave and interact with each other at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What are the key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include superposition, entanglement, uncertainty principle, and wave-particle duality. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time, entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected and can influence each other's behavior, uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty, and wave-particle duality explains the dual nature of particles as both waves and particles.

3. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in many ways. One of the main differences is that classical physics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics focuses on the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Additionally, classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics introduces probability and uncertainty into the equations. Quantum mechanics also has different principles and laws, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation, which are not present in classical physics.

4. What are some practical applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications in modern technology. Some examples include transistors, which are used in electronic devices, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, lasers, and solar cells. Quantum mechanics also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems much faster than classical computers.

5. How can we understand and visualize concepts in quantum physics?

Understanding and visualizing concepts in quantum physics can be challenging since they often contradict our everyday experiences and intuition. However, there are several ways to gain a better understanding, such as using analogies and thought experiments, studying mathematical models, and conducting experiments. Visualization tools like computer simulations and virtual reality can also help scientists and students grasp the concepts of quantum physics more easily.