What factors affect the pitch and tuning of organ pipes?

In summary, the topic came up the other day in class, about how the wave frequencies vary in each pipe of an organ. I am looking for some comprehensive information on the topic, and it would be great if someone could direct me, or maybe help a little bit as I am not so sure, as we haven't covered the topic yet, but a head start is always nice. Thanks
_Mayday_
The topic came up the other day in class, about how the wave frequencies vary in each pipe of an organ. I am looking for some comprehensive information on the topic, and it would be great if someone could direct me, or maybe help a little bit as I am not so sure, as we haven't covered the topic yet, but a head start is always nice. Thanks =]

From what I know now, I would have thought that the higher pitches would have a shorter wave frequency, than deeper ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well... you're a busy little bugger, aren't you? Questions everywhere... :biggrin:

As a rule, pitch increases with the length, and inversely to the diameter, of the resonating cavity (pipe, in this case). There are factors such as air speed, valving, etc. that can change that significantly, though. I'm leaving off to make way for an expert here.

^ Cheers Danger for some help, yeh well I've just sat a physics exam in the past week and got a shock, and really in a subject that I enjoy so much, to be achieving so average, I really want to work at it, and th ebest way is to talk to the people who know what they're on about =] !

No, pitch varies inversely with length. For air in a pipe the width only has a small effect.

Pitch is directly related to the frequency, which is inversely proportional to the wavelength.
The wavelength is directly proportional to the length.

Long pipe = long wavelength = low frequency = low pitch
Short pipe = short wavelength = high frequency = high pitch

Thank you, is there any more you could tell me on the subject? I'm geussing that is really just the basics, and I am looking to maybe go into a bit more detal. Thanks.

What is the relationship between energy and pitch? For example does more energy need to be passed through the pipe for a higher noise? Or is that speed?

The pitch of an organ pipe is due to the resonant frequency of the air column. Pressure changes due to how hard the pipe is blown on have only a slight effect on frequency. What does change how a pipe should be tuned is the medium it is played with.

Air has a different resonant frequency than steam in the same pipe. So a steam caliope is tuned differently than an organ played with air because the difference in density of the steam changes the resonant frequency of the air column. You also have to tune an organ differently for major changes in altitude. The thinner air at high altitude will give a higher pitch than the thicker air at sea level.

The length of the pipe controls pitch and the diameter increases the volume of air which gives a louder soundfrom a large diameter pipe than a small diameter pipe pipe. You also have to increase the diameter of a lower pitch pipe to maintain the same loudness since the higher pitch pipe will have more actual energy in the sound than a lower pitch pipe.

Below is a link to a site that will explain some of it to you. Chapter five covers open and closed air columns.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/sound/soundtoc.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are sound waves in organ pipes?

Sound waves in organ pipes refer to the vibrations of air molecules that produce audible sound in a pipe organ. These vibrations are created by air being forced through pipes of different lengths and shapes, resulting in different pitches and tones.

2. How do sound waves travel in organ pipes?

Sound waves in organ pipes travel in a longitudinal direction, meaning they move parallel to the direction of the air flow. When air is pushed into the pipes, it creates areas of high and low pressure which cause the air molecules to vibrate and produce sound.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound waves in organ pipes?

The speed of sound waves in organ pipes is affected by the length, diameter, and shape of the pipes, as well as the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air. The material of the pipes can also have an impact on the speed of sound waves.

4. How do different pipe lengths produce different pitches?

The length of an organ pipe determines its pitch. Longer pipes produce lower pitches, while shorter pipes produce higher pitches. This is because longer pipes have a larger volume of air, resulting in slower vibrations and lower frequencies, while shorter pipes have a smaller volume of air, resulting in faster vibrations and higher frequencies.

5. Can sound waves in organ pipes be manipulated to produce different tones?

Yes, sound waves in organ pipes can be manipulated in a few different ways to produce different tones. The shape and design of the pipes, as well as the placement and size of the mouth (or opening) of the pipe, can all affect the tone produced. Additionally, the use of stops and other mechanisms in a pipe organ can also alter the sound waves and produce different tones.