Vector displacement equation trouble

In summary, the vector displacement from the rescue plane to the distressed ship is (-5.1123)i + (0.7281)j + (1.80)k. This can be found by subtracting the position vector of the ship from the position vector of the plane, as they both originate from the same radar station.
Melchior25

Homework Statement

A radar station locates a ship in distress at horizontal range 16.0 km and bearing 136° clockwise from north. From the same station a rescue plane is at horizontal range 19.6 km, 148° clockwise from north, with elevation 1.80 km.

(a) Write the vector displacement from plane to ship, letting i represent east, j north, and k up.

Homework Equations

Vector Displacement - A=A(x)i+A(y)j+A(z)k

I also converted the polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates.

x=r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

x1 = -11.5094
y1 = -11.1145

x2 = -16.6217
y2 = -10.3864

The Attempt at a Solution

So far this is what I have...

vector displacement = (-11.5094 + -16.6217)i + (-11.1145 + -10.3864)j + (1.80)k

I have a feeling though that I am not doing something right. Could someone please double check. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: Every time I put the answers in I get the response that I used the wrong sign.

Given two points P1 and P2, the vector displacement from P1 to P2 is v2-v1. (the v's are the position vectors of the points.)

Melchior25 said:

Homework Statement

A radar station locates a ship in distress at horizontal range 16.0 km and bearing 136° clockwise from north. From the same station a rescue plane is at horizontal range 19.6 km, 148° clockwise from north, with elevation 1.80 km.

(a) Write the vector displacement from plane to ship, letting i represent east, j north, and k up.

Homework Equations

Vector Displacement - A=A(x)i+A(y)j+A(z)k

I also converted the polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates.

x=r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

x1 = -11.5094
y1 = -11.1145

x2 = -16.6217
y2 = -10.3864

The Attempt at a Solution

So far this is what I have...

vector displacement = (-11.5094 + -16.6217)i + (-11.1145 + -10.3864)j + (1.80)k

I have a feeling though that I am not doing something right. Could someone please double check. Thanks
Did you draw a picture? The vector components from the station to the ship and from the station to the plane are exactly as you say. If you let "P" be the vector from the station to the plane, "S" the vector from the station to the ship, and "x" the vector from the plane to the ship, you should see that if you go from the station to the plane, then from the plane to the ship, that is the same as going directly from the station to the ship. In other words, S+ x= P. Then x= P- S. You want to subtract the vectors you calculated, not add them!

Of course, I did draw the picture. Every time I have a physics problem. I see what you're saying and it had not slipped my mind. Right after the post I did notice that I added them and then subtracted them but unfortunately I still get the wrong answer. Now I'm just stumped.

1. What is a vector displacement equation?

A vector displacement equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the change in position of an object based on its velocity and time. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the displacement.

2. How do I solve a vector displacement equation?

To solve a vector displacement equation, you will need to first identify the known values, such as initial position, velocity, and time. Then, plug these values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation.

3. What are some common problems with vector displacement equations?

Some common problems with vector displacement equations include incorrect use of units, not taking into account direction, and not considering acceleration. It is important to carefully review the given information and use the correct equations to avoid these issues.

4. How can I check if my vector displacement equation solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging the calculated values back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the displacement over time and see if it matches the expected behavior.

5. Can I use vector displacement equations for objects with changing velocity?

Yes, vector displacement equations can be used for objects with changing velocity. However, in these cases, it is important to use the appropriate equation for each time interval and to account for any changes in velocity or acceleration.