When the electrons hit the bandgap

QM problem.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of phase change when electrons hit the bandgap of a metal from another metal through a common interface. The speaker mentions a large quantity of reflected electrons and asks about modeling this using the nearly free electron concept. However, the other person clarifies that metals do not have bandgaps and suggests that the question may actually be about tunneling across a potential barrier. Without an accurate reformulation of the question, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer.
tonyhongxp
how to calculate the phase change of the reflection when the electrons hit the bandgap of a metal from another metal through a common interface? For sure i know there must be a large quantity of them reflected back. but how to model this using the nearly free electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't any bandgap in metals.

tonyhongxp said:
how to calculate the phase change of the reflection when the electrons hit the bandgap of a metal from another metal through a common interface? For sure i know there must be a large quantity of them reflected back. but how to model this using the nearly free electron?

You need to rethink of your question because I suspect you have one thing in mind, but used the wrong words for it.

As has been said, metals do not have "band gaps", at least not around the Fermi level. Most semiconductors/insulators do. I am guessing that you are thinking of a tunneling problem, and the "bandgap" is actually "potential barrier". However, without you reformulating the question accurately, this is only a guess, and I don't normally answer guesses.

Zz.

Last edited:
I think that's probably it - tunneling across a barrier potential (+ image charge potential?)

1. What is the bandgap?

The bandgap is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band in a material. It represents the minimum energy required for an electron to move from the valence band to the conduction band.

2. What happens when electrons hit the bandgap?

When electrons hit the bandgap, they can either be absorbed by the material or lose energy and return to the valence band. This process is known as electron-hole recombination and can result in the emission of light or heat.

3. How does the bandgap affect a material's properties?

The bandgap affects a material's properties in several ways. It determines the material's ability to conduct electricity, absorb and emit light, and its thermal and mechanical properties. Materials with larger bandgaps are typically insulators, while those with smaller bandgaps are semiconductors or conductors.

4. What factors influence the bandgap of a material?

The bandgap of a material is influenced by its chemical composition, crystal structure, and temperature. For example, materials with larger atoms or more complex crystal structures tend to have larger bandgaps, while higher temperatures can decrease the bandgap.

5. Why is the bandgap important in materials science?

The bandgap is important in materials science because it determines the properties and potential applications of a material. For example, materials with small bandgaps are used in electronic devices, while those with large bandgaps are used in heat-resistant coatings. Understanding and manipulating the bandgap can also lead to the development of new materials with unique properties and applications.