Probability of Rolling a Balanced Die 6 Times

In summary, the probability of getting the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in any order when tossing a balanced die six times is 6!/6^6. In the second problem, with an altered die that has two faces labeled as "5", the probability of getting the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in any order when tossing it five times is 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 2/6 * 2/6. And for the third problem, the number of possible arrangements of 5 math books, 4 physics books, and 2 statistics
kingwinner
1) A balanced die is tosssed six times, and the number on the uppermost face is recorded each time. What is the probability that the numbers recorded are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in any order?

My attempted answer is (6!)/(6^6), is it correct?

2) Suppose a die has been altered so that the faces are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 5. If the die is tossed five times, what is the probability that the numbers recorded are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in any oder?

No clue...can anyone help me, please?

3) We need to arrange 5 math books, 4 physics books and 2 statistics books on a shelf. How many possible arrangements exists so that books of the same subjects will lie side by side?

Is it 3! x (5! x 4! x 2!)?

Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, let's see.
1) I don't think your attempted answer is correct. Think about it this way. You roll your die and want to get it to be "1", the chances of that happening are 1/6 (or 1!/6), same happens for all other numbers (2, 3, 4, 5 & 6). The total number of out comes (you got it right) is 6^6, because during each toss there are 6 possible outcomes. So, I think the answer should be (1!^6)/(6^6), or 1/(6^6). Try looking at the big picture, having your answer would mean that you would be able to get that sequence 240 times...

2) Use the same approach as before.
To get "1" in your first toss, the probability will be 1/6, same with 2, 3, 4. But when we get to 5, the picture changes. Instead of probability being 1/6, it is now 2/6, because there are two faces labeled as "5". So the probability of that sequence occurring is
1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 2/6 * 2/6
^#1 ^#2 ^#3 ^#4 ^#5 ^second #5

3) Yes, I think that's right.

Melawrghk said:
Okay, let's see.
1) I don't think your attempted answer is correct. Think about it this way. You roll your die and want to get it to be "1", the chances of that happening are 1/6 (or 1!/6), same happens for all other numbers (2, 3, 4, 5 & 6). The total number of out comes (you got it right) is 6^6, because during each toss there are 6 possible outcomes. So, I think the answer should be (1!^6)/(6^6), or 1/(6^6). Try looking at the big picture, having your answer would mean that you would be able to get that sequence 240 times...

2) Use the same approach as before.
To get "1" in your first toss, the probability will be 1/6, same with 2, 3, 4. But when we get to 5, the picture changes. Instead of probability being 1/6, it is now 2/6, because there are two faces labeled as "5". So the probability of that sequence occurring is
1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 2/6 * 2/6
^#1 ^#2 ^#3 ^#4 ^#5 ^second #5

3) Yes, I think that's right.

kingwinner's solution is completely correct for 1). The number of permutations of the six numbers is 6!. The probability of each permutation occurring is 1/6^6. Answer: 6!/6^6. Think of the second problem the same way. How many permutations, what's the probability of each permutation? No arguments with the last one.

What is the probability of rolling a balanced die 6 times and getting all 6s?

The probability of rolling a 6 on a balanced die is 1/6. Therefore, the probability of getting all 6s in 6 rolls is (1/6)^6 or 0.000128. This means that there is a very low chance of getting all 6s in 6 rolls.

What is the probability of rolling a balanced die 6 times and getting at least one 6?

The probability of rolling a 6 on a balanced die is 1/6. Therefore, the probability of not getting a 6 in a single roll is 1 - (1/6) = 5/6. The probability of not getting a 6 in 6 rolls is (5/6)^6 or 0.3349. This means that the probability of getting at least one 6 in 6 rolls is 1 - 0.3349 = 0.6651 or approximately 66.51%.

What is the probability of rolling a balanced die 6 times and getting all different numbers?

The probability of rolling a different number on a balanced die each time is 1 - (1/6) = 5/6. Therefore, the probability of getting all different numbers in 6 rolls is (5/6)^6 or 0.3349. This means that there is a 33.49% chance of getting all different numbers in 6 rolls.

What is the probability of rolling a balanced die 6 times and getting a specific sequence of numbers?

The probability of getting a specific sequence of numbers on a balanced die is (1/6)^6 or 0.000128. This means that there is a very low chance of getting a specific sequence of numbers in 6 rolls.

What is the probability of rolling a balanced die 6 times and getting an even number each time?

The probability of rolling an even number on a balanced die is 3/6 or 1/2. Therefore, the probability of getting all even numbers in 6 rolls is (1/2)^6 or 0.015625. This means that there is a 1.56% chance of getting an even number each time in 6 rolls.