Maxwell relation with 3 variables?

In summary, the conversation discusses the thermodynamic potential dG and its partial differentials. The speaker is trying to prove the Maxwell relation and becomes confused about which variables should be kept constant. They then realize their mistake and understand the variables in the context of thermodynamics.
anony
Hello,
I have the thermodynamic potential dG = -SdT + VdP - MdB and I find that

(dG/dB)_(T,P) = -M and (dG/dT)_(P,B) = -S, where I have used _(letters) to denote constants and that these are partial differentials. I want to prove the Maxwell relation that

(dS/dB)_(T,P) = (dM/dT)_(B,P) *

so I do

(d/dB (dG/dT)_(P,B))_(T,P) = (d/dT (dG/dB)_(T,P))_(P,B)

But then bring these partials together, I no longer no what it supposed to be kept constant, or how I get to *

Sorry, about the messiness, and cheers for any help. I didn't put this in the homework section because its a pretty general question rather that an actual problem.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm being an idiot. I got it now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
' Have found my thermodynamics book and see that I understand What S,T,V and P are.
What are M and B here?

Dear reader,

Thank you for your question. The Maxwell relation is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that relates the partial derivatives of thermodynamic potentials to each other. In your case, you have three variables: temperature (T), pressure (P), and magnetic field (B). The Maxwell relation with three variables states that the partial derivative of entropy (S) with respect to magnetic field (B), at constant temperature (T) and pressure (P), is equal to the partial derivative of magnetization (M) with respect to temperature (T), at constant magnetic field (B) and pressure (P). This can be written as:

(dS/dB)_(T,P) = (dM/dT)_(B,P)

To prove this relation, you can use the thermodynamic potential dG that you have provided. By taking partial derivatives of dG with respect to T and B, you can show that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side. The key is to remember that when taking partial derivatives, all other variables are held constant. In this case, T and P are held constant for the derivative with respect to B, and P and B are held constant for the derivative with respect to T.

I hope this helps clarify the Maxwell relation with three variables. It is an important concept to understand in thermodynamics and can be applied to many different systems and equations. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the Maxwell relation with 3 variables?

The Maxwell relation with 3 variables is a mathematical relationship between three thermodynamic variables: pressure (P), volume (V), and temperature (T). It is derived from the four Maxwell equations and is used to describe the behavior of a thermodynamic system.

2. How is the Maxwell relation with 3 variables derived?

The Maxwell relation with 3 variables is derived by taking the partial derivatives of the four Maxwell equations with respect to each of the three variables: P, V, and T. These partial derivatives are then equated to each other, resulting in a relationship between the three variables.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell relation with 3 variables?

The Maxwell relation with 3 variables is significant because it allows us to relate changes in one thermodynamic variable to changes in the other two variables. This is useful in understanding the behavior of thermodynamic systems and predicting their properties.

4. Can the Maxwell relation with 3 variables be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, the Maxwell relation with 3 variables can be applied to all thermodynamic systems, as long as the four Maxwell equations hold true for the system. It is a fundamental relationship in thermodynamics and is applicable to a wide range of systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Maxwell relation with 3 variables?

There are some limitations to the Maxwell relation with 3 variables. It assumes that the system is in equilibrium and that the variables are continuous and differentiable. It also does not take into account non-ideal behaviors, such as phase transitions or chemical reactions. However, it is still a valuable tool in understanding thermodynamic systems and their properties.