Electron Configuration of Large Atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about writing electron configurations for larger atoms, specifically for Copper. The conversation also touches on the significance of the 3D orbital and its placement in the electron configuration, as well as the number of electrons that can occupy each orbital and their role in chemical bonding. The order of orbitals and the Aufbau principle are mentioned, as well as the quantum numbers that determine the number of electrons per orbital.
MadmanMurray
I've read a good few different explanations and learned about electron configurations in school but I still don't understand how to write the electron configuration for a big atom like Copper. Heres how I would write it
1S2,2S2,2P6,3S2,3P6,3D...
First off he told me 3D didn't even belong there. I'm thinking he might mean because the 3D orbital is an exception and actually appears after 4S. I didn't think he'd expect us to know that though he never taught us that.

Second thing I don't get is how many electrons go into a D orbital and why D orbitals don't effect the octet rule of chemical bonds. Is it only P orbital electrons that are involved in bonding or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not S, P, D but s, p, d.

Order matters - we list orbitals in the order they are filled, and 4s is filled before 3d. Google for Aufbau principle.

Number of electrons per orbital is given by quantum numbers. 2 for s, 6 for p, 10 for d and 14 for f.

I can understand your confusion about writing the electron configuration for large atoms like copper. It can be a complex process and requires a thorough understanding of the periodic table and the rules governing electron configurations.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the electron configuration for copper is actually 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10. The 3d orbital does belong there, but as you mentioned, it is an exception and appears after the 4s orbital. This is because the 4s orbital has a lower energy level compared to the 3d orbital, and according to the Aufbau principle, the orbitals are filled in order of increasing energy.

Regarding your question about the number of electrons in a d orbital, each d orbital can hold a maximum of 10 electrons. This is because there are five d orbitals, each with a capacity of 2 electrons. The octet rule, which states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons to achieve a stable octet (8 electrons in the outermost energy level), does not apply to d orbitals. This is because d orbitals are not involved in the formation of chemical bonds. It is primarily the electrons in the outermost s and p orbitals that participate in bonding.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the electron configuration of large atoms like copper. It is a complex topic, and it is important to have a strong understanding of the periodic table and the rules governing electron configurations to accurately write them for any atom.

What is electron configuration and why is it important?

Electron configuration is the arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels or orbitals. It is important because it determines an atom's chemical and physical properties.

How do you determine the electron configuration of large atoms?

The electron configuration of large atoms can be determined using the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy.

What is the significance of the noble gas configuration in electron configuration?

The noble gas configuration is the most stable electron configuration for an atom. Elements strive to achieve this configuration through gaining, losing, or sharing electrons in chemical reactions.

How does electron configuration relate to an atom's reactivity?

The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's outermost energy level, or valence electrons, determine an atom's reactivity. Atoms with incomplete outer energy levels are more reactive and tend to form bonds with other atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

How does electron configuration change in ions?

Ions are formed when atoms gain or lose electrons, resulting in a change in their electron configuration. Cations (positively charged ions) have fewer electrons than their neutral atom and lose electrons from their highest energy level, while anions (negatively charged ions) have more electrons and gain them in their highest energy level.