Quadratic Equation: Find Roots Range

In summary, the conversation is about finding the range of the roots of a quadratic equation given certain conditions. The individual being addressed is asked to show their own work and not to cheat.
antiparticle
If a(12a+5b+2c)>0 and the equation ax^2+bx+c=0 has roots y and z , then find out the range of the roots of the equation ...

Physics news on Phys.org
For brainy students!

Is this a homework question of yours?

Insulting our intelligence isn't very nice if you're asking for help!

Well, so you have got:
[tex]ay^{2}+by+c=0[/tex]
[tex]az^{2}+bz+c=0[/tex]
Along with your inequality.

Have you any brainy suggestions of your own?

antiparticle said:
If a(12a+5b+2c)>0 and the equation ax^2+bx+c=0 has roots y and z , then find out the range of the roots of the equation ...

antiparticle, as I told you in my warning just now as I moved this to the Homework Help forums, you MUST show your own work on this homework/coursework question. We do not do your work for you, and we do not help you cheat.

Show us your work.

From the sum and the product rule of the quadratic equation we can easily get
12-5(y+z)+2yz>0..
and from this one we can get some conditions..

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabola when graphed and has a degree of 2.

2. How do I find the roots of a quadratic equation?

The roots of a quadratic equation can be found by using the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula gives two possible values for x, known as the roots or solutions of the equation.

3. What is the meaning of "range" in a quadratic equation?

The range in a quadratic equation refers to the set of all possible values that the function can output. In other words, it is the set of all y-values that correspond to the x-values on the graph of the equation.

4. How do I determine the range of a quadratic equation?

To determine the range of a quadratic equation, you can either graph the equation and observe the y-values, or you can use the vertex form of the equation, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, to find the minimum or maximum value of the function. The range will be all values of y that are equal to or greater than the minimum (if the parabola opens upwards) or equal to or less than the maximum (if the parabola opens downwards).

5. Can a quadratic equation have no real roots?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have no real roots if the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative. In this case, the solutions will be complex numbers (numbers with a real and imaginary part) instead of real numbers, and the parabola will not intersect the x-axis.