Can a Force of Gravitation Be Considered Conservative?

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, AnirudhCurl is just a consequence of a conservative vector field. For some smooth function f which is defined on some domain D, then we can define a conservative vector such that F = grad(f).
WiFO215
I was watching 18.02 now and Denis Aurox, the prof. who is lecturing, mentioned that for a force to be conservative, not only was it necessary for its curl = 0 but also that F is defined and differentiable everywhere. He then went on to give the example y<i> + x<j>/x^2 + y ^2 will not be a conservative force for it is not defined at the origin.

However, I have a doubt. The first example that hit me was the Force of Gravitation. It's given by Const./ r^2 where r is the displacement between the masses. When we look at it in terms of a field, the field is not defined on the mass itself (i.e. on the point mass) and shoots to infinity as r shoots to zero. How come we define a potential in this case?

Anirudh

Physics news on Phys.org
Curl is just a consequence of a conservative vector field. For some smooth function f which is defined on some domain D, then we can define a conservative vector such that F = grad(f).

So in your first example it is conservative, you just have to give a proper domain.

You are confusing "if" with "only if". If a vector field has curl 0 and is defined and differentiable everywhere, it is conservative. If a vector field does not satisfy those conditions, it may or may not be conservative.

HallsofIvy said:
You are confusing "if" with "only if". If a vector field has curl 0 and is defined and differentiable everywhere, it is conservative. If a vector field does not satisfy those conditions, it may or may not be conservative.

I see. So how do you verify if it is or isn't conservative? By finding out if it can be expressed as a gradient of a function?

So in the case of Gravitation, even though the field is not defined at r = 0, we get a gradient field V satisfying grad V = G field because ...?

Okay. I got it. I got it. I just went ahead a few lectures where he talks about this in more detail and that clarified things.

<<SO THIS IS DONE>>

Could someone finish up my other thread lurking below this one?

1. What is "Another doubt"?

"Another doubt" refers to the uncertainty or lack of understanding about a particular topic or concept.

2. How is "Another doubt" different from other doubts?

"Another doubt" is not necessarily different from other doubts, as all doubts involve questioning or uncertainty. However, "Another doubt" may refer specifically to a doubt that arises after previous doubts have been addressed or resolved.

3. What causes "Another doubt"?

"Another doubt" can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a lack of knowledge or understanding, conflicting information, or new evidence that challenges previous beliefs.

4. How can "Another doubt" be resolved?

The best way to resolve "Another doubt" is to seek out reliable information and evidence, consult with experts or knowledgeable individuals, and critically evaluate the information to form an informed understanding.

5. Is "Another doubt" a bad thing?

Not necessarily. Doubt can be a natural and healthy part of the scientific process, as it encourages critical thinking and the pursuit of knowledge. However, persistent doubt without resolution may hinder progress and understanding.