Can i go with physics and astronomy masters after doing some engineering degree

In summary, if you want to do a PhD in physics or astronomy, you will need to do a lot of extra work.
Bradwast88
I am a high school student. I hope to get my bachelors in physics and astronomy but i heard that there is low job opportunities for that degree (i know for PHD in physics and astronomy the story is different) And i hope to do PHD in physics and astronomy while i am doing a job(Because i have some PVT and financial problems) So is there any other bachelors degree which has some job opportunities and can do masters in physics and astronomy. And if i did Masters in physics and astronomy without doing any other degree how about the job opportunities? PLEASE help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a bachelors and a masters in physics/astronomy, but no PhD. Couldn't find a job in astronomy, but was paid to do R & D in various jobs: numerical modelling (computational physics), artificial intelligence, interface design... I've known several others who have taken a similar path. So I don't think there is any downside to taking a physics/astronomy degree. If you are more interested in that then anything else then do it! But realize, as you already seem to realize, that you may not get a job in astronomy. But what you don't seem to realize is that it is a great preparation for working in many fields. Physics/astronomy is looked at as hard core, so interviewers for (say) R&D posts in engineering/computing treat as you as a serious player.

Likes Kriti Dhakal
First, the idea that one can't get a job with a BS in physics is a myth. Yes, it's true that you can't get a job as a physicist with a BS in physics, just as one can't get a job as a historian with a BA in history. But physics grads are at least as marketable as the typical college graduate.

Second, getting a physics PhD part time is extraordinarily difficult. The average PhD program takes 7 years. If you work half-time, that becomes 14. A third of the time and it's 21. By the time you finish your thesis, the question may no longer be interesting.

Third, yes, you can get a PhD with a BS in another field, but you will need to catch up on the undergraduate preparation that you missed, which can be 1-2 years of full time study. Part time this will be longer.

And finally, if a student wanted me as their advisor and was planning on finishing in 15 or 20 years, I wouldn't take them on. This would be a waste of my time.

1. Can I pursue a masters in physics and astronomy after completing an engineering degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a masters in physics and astronomy after completing an engineering degree. Many universities offer combined programs or allow students to transition from engineering to physics and astronomy programs.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in physics and astronomy to pursue a masters in this field after an engineering degree?

While it is helpful to have a background in physics and astronomy, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer bridge courses or prerequisites for students who have not studied these subjects before. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are interested in.

3. Will my engineering degree be useful if I pursue a masters in physics and astronomy?

Yes, your engineering degree can be useful in a masters program in physics and astronomy. Many concepts and skills learned in engineering can be applied to the study of physics and astronomy, such as problem solving, critical thinking, and mathematics.

4. Are there any specific engineering degrees that are more suitable for a masters in physics and astronomy?

There is not one specific engineering degree that is more suitable for a masters in physics and astronomy. However, degrees in fields such as mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering may be more relevant due to their focus on physics principles.

5. What career opportunities are available with a masters in physics and astronomy after completing an engineering degree?

A masters in physics and astronomy can open up a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in government agencies or private companies, teaching at the high school or college level, or working in industries such as aerospace or defense. Additionally, having a background in both engineering and physics can make you a valuable candidate for jobs that require a combination of technical and analytical skills.