Respiratory system help needed

• Thread starter dmbz230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, Clemy is taking 14 breaths per minute with a vital capacity of 3,000ls, a total lung capacity of 4,000mLs, and a tidal volume of 450mls per breath. Her total pulmonary ventilation is 6.3L per minute and her alveolar ventilation rate is 4.2L per minute, after subtracting the anatomical dead space volume of 150ml.
dmbz230

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I've been doing this question and I am now stuck on part b as i don't know how to find the anatomiclal dead space volume...can someone help me out please, I've thrown in what i have done so far

thanks

Clemy is taking 14 breaths per minute. Her vital capacity is 3,000ls, her total lung capacity is 4,000mLs, and her tidal volume is 450mls per breath. Calculate the following:

Homework Equations

Alveolar ventilation = ventilation rate (breaths per minute) x (tidal volume – anatomical dead space volume)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Clemy's total pulmonary ventilation (minute volume)
Total pulmonary Ventilation (Respiratory Minute Volume) = volume of air moved each minute
Respiratory minute volume = ventilation rate (breaths per minute) x tidal volume.
Respiratory minute volume = 14 x 450
 Respiratory minute volume = 6300ml per minute = 6.3L per minute

(b) Clemy's alveolar ventilation rate

Alveolar ventilation = 14 x (450 -

Physics news on Phys.org
anatomical dead space volume)

In order to find the anatomical dead space volume, we need to first understand what it is. Anatomical dead space volume refers to the volume of air that remains in the conducting airways (such as the nose, mouth, trachea, bronchi, and bronchioles) and does not participate in gas exchange with the alveoli. This volume is usually estimated to be around 150ml.

To calculate Clemy's alveolar ventilation rate, we need to subtract the anatomical dead space volume from the tidal volume before multiplying it by the ventilation rate.

So, the equation would be: Alveolar ventilation = 14 x (450 - 150)

Therefore, Clemy's alveolar ventilation rate is 4,200ml per minute or 4.2L per minute. This is the volume of air that is actually participating in gas exchange in the alveoli.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

anatomical dead space volume)

To find the anatomical dead space volume, we need to know the volume of the conducting airways (such as the trachea, bronchi, and bronchioles) that do not participate in gas exchange. This volume can vary depending on factors such as age and lung health. A common estimate for anatomical dead space volume is about 150ml.

Therefore, for Clemy's case, the calculation would be:

Alveolar ventilation = 14 x (450 - 150) = 14 x 300 = 4200ml per minute = 4.2L per minute

In other words, Clemy is able to ventilate about 4.2L of air per minute into her alveoli, where gas exchange occurs. This is important for maintaining proper oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the body. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the purpose of the respiratory system?

The respiratory system is responsible for bringing oxygen into the body and removing carbon dioxide. It also helps regulate the body's pH balance and plays a role in the immune system.

2. What are the main organs involved in the respiratory system?

The main organs of the respiratory system are the nose, pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, lungs, and diaphragm. These organs work together to facilitate the exchange of gases between the body and the environment.

3. How does the respiratory system help maintain homeostasis?

The respiratory system helps maintain homeostasis by regulating the body's gas levels and acid-base balance. It also helps remove harmful substances from the body through coughing and sneezing.

4. What are some common respiratory problems?

Some common respiratory problems include asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), bronchitis, pneumonia, and lung cancer. These conditions can affect the function of the respiratory system and may require medical treatment.

5. How can I improve my respiratory health?

To improve respiratory health, it is important to avoid smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke, exercise regularly, maintain a healthy diet, and practice good hygiene to prevent respiratory infections. It is also important to seek medical treatment for any respiratory problems that may arise.