Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
turbo-1 said:
We have had some arctic high-pressure zones around recently ...
Your high-pressure zone is said to be responsible for keeping several little snow event to our south. Thanks Maine.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently KO'd by snow shoveling. The snow went to right below my knees. (~18in)
I finished shoveling, went to sleep at 5pm and didn't wake up until 10pm.

We now have 132,000 people without power in our area, and it probably will be 2-3 days before power is restored, and possibly longer in remote areas. I drove along one of my usual routes, and there were power lines down. My office mate is without power for a second day.

It is mud season, and the frost is coming out of the ground. So is the water. I was taking Duke for a walk, and while waiting for him to find a place to "annoint" I looked into the ditch only to see water bubbling strongly out of a hole in the bottom. This hill is loaded with ground-water but finding a new spring was a surprise.
springhole.jpg

It's not so cold anymore, but today it's raining and very windy. A 60 foot tall eastern hemlock came down in my side yard. It was kind enough to miss the house entirely and just clipped the garage with no damage. Now I have to consider how I'm going to deal with it. However, today is too nasty, so I'm going to let it stew there. The power is out in nearby towns, but we're all right. Anybody else experiencing weather problems?

Jimmy Snyder said:
It's not so cold anymore, but today it's raining and very windy. A 60 foot tall eastern hemlock came down in my side yard. It was kind enough to miss the house entirely and just clipped the garage with no damage. Now I have to consider how I'm going to deal with it. However, today is too nasty, so I'm going to let it stew there. The power is out in nearby towns, but we're all right. Anybody else experiencing weather problems?
Egads! I'm so glad that the tree missed you. My mother was not so lucky when a similarly tall pine tree fell on her house during a hurricane. Insurance paid for the damage to the house, but IIRC it cost her over a thousand dollars to have the tree cut up and removed.

Evo said:
Egads! I'm so glad that the tree missed you. My mother was not so lucky when a similarly tall pine tree fell on her house during a hurricane. Insurance paid for the damage to the house, but IIRC it cost her over a thousand dollars to have the tree cut up and removed.
I'm going to cut it up myself when the weather lifts. But $1000 seems high to me. Last year I paid $1200 to fell two trees and grind three stumps. They did the work while I was away at work and took the wood away, so I'm not sure if they cut it up or not.

Today was a wonderful sunny spring (!) day. I can't believe April is here already. The calendar lies! Tomorrow, we may get brushed with the top of the storm that has whacked the East Coast. Gusts to 50 mph or higher, so I'll check out the generator, top off the oil, fuel it, and give it a test-run. When the power goes out, this road is about the last one in town to get some attention. A line-man friend of mine told me when we moved out here that we were just a notch higher in the power company's priority than the camp roads around ponds.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I'm going to cut it up myself when the weather lifts. But $1000 seems high to me. Last year I paid $1200 to fell two trees and grind three stumps. They did the work while I was away at work and took the wood away, so I'm not sure if they cut it up or not.
They're excuse was that they couldn't resell pine for firewood, so there was no profit for them. I just can't see my little 5' tall eldelry mom weilding a chainsaw and lugging wood. Although when she was younger she could tackle anything.

Jimmy Snyder said:

We're getting rain and general ick, but nothing terrible. From the news stories, it sounds like half of Pittsburgh is flooded. We probably have some flooded areas too, but I haven't ventured out or turned on the news today to find out. I live on top of a big ridge...if it floods by my house, it's time to build an ark. Fortunately, we had a warm week last week before the rain hit, so a lot of the snow had already melted before the rain started. The ground was already soaked from the melting snow, and the rivers were already swollen from the rain, but at least it isn't both at the same time. Pittsburgh's problems, I think, are from flood waters arriving from upstream to the confluence of three rivers just as the rain started there.

Moonbear said:
From the news stories, it sounds like half of Pittsburgh is flooded.
Which half? Half of the 5% of the city that is not perched on a near-vertical side-hill? Western PA and WV can certainly see high water, but I can't see wide-spread inundation and ruinous floods (the property-damage/soak your house type) being a real problem there. Even as far downstream as Luke, MD, the topography is still so rugged and steep that high water would go as fast as it could come.

The tree that fell yesterday had a bifurcated trunk and only one of the branches came down. Measured ground to tip it was 60 feet to the angstrom. However, the bifurcation was 7 feet above ground, so the branch that fell was only 53 feet long. The township bought some very expensive paper recycling bins and gave them to each householder. The trunk fell squarely on my bin and tipped it slightly. However the branches are holding the trunk off the ground and so the bin was not damaged. Some of the branches slightly blocked my way to the garage where my tools are, but fortunately branches have been falling like rain so I had my branch trimming saw with me and was able to clear a path to the garage door. All in all, I came off pretty well. However, I do not trust the still standing branch and will bring it down later this year at some expense.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I flew into Newark last night, and the flight got bounced around. I had to dodge debris on I-95 and US-46, and take it slow in the cross-winds so as not to get blown into other cars or the median barrier.

The Palisades in NJ was a mess with debris from fallen trees (at least one every mile). Traffic was stopped three times for tree removal, and it appeared that at least one car ran into a fallen tree. Up near home, it was a matter of avoiding pools or water on the road. I did pass one SUV/Van that had some how driven (skidded?) off the road into a ditch, just where there was a water fall coming down the hillside.

I've been trimming our maple tree and several fir trees so their tops don't fall into the neighbor driveway. Several trees were damage two weeks ago when we have the rain/snow/ice storm.

We had a large blue spruce removed several years ago, and it cost about $1000. But we also got a package deal on other trees we needed to remove (with discounts on some cedars we needed removed).

Wow, Astro! So happy that stuff all passed to the south of us. We sure wouldn't want as much rain as you folks got. The ground here is absolutely saturated, so it all would have ended up as surface run-off, taking out our gravel roads and undermining the paved ones. BTW, the new spring that popped up a couple of weeks ago is still bubbling merrily along - it looks like a little Yellowstone mud-pot, but without the heat.

Astronuc said:
I flew into Newark last night, and the flight got bounced around.
I assume you know what a wheel landing is. I couldn't believe a commercial airliner (DC9) could do a wheel landing until I landed at Orlando, FL with a 60mph cross wind.

Check out this landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sV1CzvZHlM"

Last edited by a moderator:
Although there are no wind advisories locally, and the forecast mentions wind of 9-13 mph, we're getting winds and gusts that seem to be a bit stronger, at least by the sound of the wind roaring outside, and the trees saying a few feet at the top. I'm just hoping that I don't wake up to a branch or tree on either of the neighbor's cars. I've manage to trim some trees which I thought were most at risk, but I still have 4 trees (~40 feet each) that I need to remove to be safe. But then, that will leave our maple tree (which is one that I've been trimming and removing broken branches) more exposed. The original own of the house had planted fir trees around the property, all too close, and over the years they started to show signs of stress from the crowding. One of them blew down in the neighbor's backyard a couple of months ago, and I managed to push another one over. Two weeks ago, one or two fir trees lost some top branches from the accumulation of ice and snow.

After the warmest March on record, we are having a colder-than-normal April. I got up at 3am to walk the dog, and it was snowing out. I figured it would be gone when I got up later in the morning. Wrong! It's still coming down hard.

aprilsnow.jpg

That's looks like quite a bit turbo!

Evo said:
That's looks like quite a bit turbo!
It should be around 6" or more, but all the surfaces were well above freezing and the snow melts pretty fast - almost as fast as it accumulates.

turbo-1 said:
It should be around 6" or more, but all the surfaces were well above freezing and the snow melts pretty fast - almost as fast as it accumulates.
It does look heavy and wet.

Our weather has turned cooler, but not that cold.

It's cold air aloft that's the culprit. At ground level, the temp is near 40.

I'm in northern Michigan for the next few days, and its freezing! Turkey hunting opens tomorrow, but I fear all the birds are hunkered down against the winds and misty freezing rain.

On the up side, I have a fire going on the beach, and Lake Michigan is kicking up some cool waves. Going to grab my blankets, and a hot buttered rum, and just take it all in.

We had a temperature swing of about 25 degrees from yesterday (warm and sunny) to today (alternating snow and rain).

What's this? Snow showers on April 29? It has been snowing off and on all day, alternating with sun and clouds. The air aloft must be very cold, because it is in the high 40's near the ground.

snow429.jpg

May-Day! May-Day! Currently 82 degrees outside and rising. This spring's weather is giving me whiplash!

We've been pretty consistent the past week, lows in the 40's, highs in the 60's. It's only reached 61 today. I don't remember such a cold April, but I'm not complaining. Well, I'm complaining a little, I want to set my plants outside.

Evo said:
We've been pretty consistent the past week, lows in the 40's, highs in the 60's. It's only reached 61 today. I don't remember such a cold April, but I'm not complaining. Well, I'm complaining a little, I want to set my plants outside.
We had a day last Sunday when the temperature was 92 °F, but now we're looking at temperatures in the 30's at night and low 50's during the day.

The berries don't mind, but just about everything else prefers warmer weather at this time of year.

It's getting close to mid May and the temperatures are in the 40's. Having to run the heater in May!

I have had two wood-fires today. Wind is howling and temps in the 40s. We lost power twice this week already due to heavy storms, and I'm not anxious for another.

I see the first flower on one of the tomato plants

What is with this crazy weather? It's been so cold all month, the temperature right now is only 55F.

Did you all see the softball size hail in Oklahoma and that hailstorm in Colorado? There are videos on weather.com

Same (maximum) temperature here (13C), it's about 5C (8F) below the average. Waiting for spring.

Spring came early here and prompted early blooming of fruit trees. They bloomed before the pollinators were in place to tend the blossoms, then several hard frosts got many of the blossoms. Estimates from orchard operators place projected losses around 20-40%. The very warm March jump-started everything.

It's good that garlic is frost tolerant - they came up early and are up to about mid-thigh now. About a month ahead of normal.

Just barely got up to 55 deg today amid "scattered" showers. I only wish they were scattered. The rain is constant and relentless. What a way to put a damper on the garden! A cold rain can cool the soil quite effectively and only several sunny, warm days can bring the temps back up so the vegetables will thrive. We have about 2 weeks before the threat of frost is over (traditionally), but last year, heavy cold rains like this after Memorial Day ruined the germination rates of cukes and squash. It was very hard to find seeds to re-plant with since everybody lost their direct-seeded plants.

It's 55F and raining here too. Finally you're getting some of my weather. I was talking to the neighbors the other day, everyone is worried this year will be like last year. The farmers really need a good summer to recover from last year. We have lots of little farms around here. We're basically just neighborhoods dotted between farms.