How can I simplify this equation by substituting for Vf2?

In summary, the conversation is about two equations that are the same but one has a missing variable. The assignment is to show the steps for substituting the variable and simplifying the equation. The solution involves collecting like terms and dividing the squared equation by the other, resulting in a set of two linear equations that can be easily solved.
jedr
These two equations are the same:

M1Vf1+M2Vf2=M1Vo1 + 0

After substituting Vf2= M1(Vo1 –Vf1)/M2 in one of the equations above, it is now Vf1=[(M1-M2)/(M1+M2)]V01

The assignment is to show the steps how the first equation becomes the second after substituting for Vf2. I have tried simplifying the equation in numerous ways, but M1 and M2 keep canceling out, and I end up with Vf1=Vf1. Can anybody help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedr said:
These two equations are the same:

M1Vf1+M2Vf2=M1Vo1 + 0
½M1Vf1 + ½M2Vf2 = ½M1Vo1 + 0

The only thing different is that the second equation is just the first multiplied by 1/2. So you will always end up with something like M1=M1 or similar.

Yes, I know that the two equations are the same. I need to substitute Vf2 in either equation to get Vf1=[(M1-M2)/(M1+M2)]V01. It doesn't matter which equation of the two above is used, both were just given to me.

All three equations are the same. The third one is just the first one solved for [tex]v_{f2}[/tex].

I think you wanted the velocities to be squared in the second equation.

Yes, I forgot the squares but you are misunderstanding what I am asking. The equations are the same, I know that, but I cannot seem to figure the steps to get to the other equation.

Well, it's hard to understand what you're asking if you don't ask it correctly. Try this. With both equations, collect the v1 terms on one side and the v2 term on the other. Then divide the equation with the squares by the other. Then you'll have a set of two linear equations which you can readily solve while avoiding much algebraic messiness.

What is the definition of simplifying an equation?

Simplifying an equation is the process of reducing a complex mathematical expression to its simplest form by combining like terms and applying mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Why is it important to simplify an equation?

Simplifying an equation allows us to understand the underlying relationships between variables and make the problem easier to solve. It also helps to avoid mistakes and confusion when working with complex equations.

What are the steps involved in simplifying an equation?

The steps for simplifying an equation are: 1) Combine like terms, 2) Use the distributive property, 3) Simplify any constants, 4) Use the additive and multiplicative identities, and 5) Check your work for accuracy.

How can I tell if an equation is simplified?

An equation is considered simplified when there are no more like terms to combine and all parentheses have been removed. In other words, the expression cannot be simplified any further without changing its overall value.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation include: 1) Combining unlike terms, 2) Forgetting to distribute a negative sign, 3) Forgetting to simplify constants, and 4) Making errors when using the distributive property or identities.