HiSo I'm looking at presentations.I think that I understand that

• Thread starter andlook
  • Start date
In summary, identifying the group that a presentation generates is a challenging problem and may not always be possible. A related problem in group theory is determining whether two words are equal in a given group, but this is also a difficult and sometimes undecidable problem. As for the specific presentation mentioned, it may be difficult to identify the group without further information.
andlook
Hi

So I'm looking at presentations.
I think that I understand that the group that generates <a,b|a^2,b^2> is Z/2 x Z/2. But how can I find out the group, that generates other presentations such as
<a,b,c|aba^(-1)bcc>?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

In general it's a hard problem to identify the group that a presentation generates. Actually a quite interesting related problem in group theory is given a presentation of a group G and two words x1x2...xn and y1y2...ym, determine whether x1x2...xn=y1...ym in G. In general this is an undecidable problem, so in some cases we may not be able to tell whether we have x1...xn=y1...ym or not. As for your specific presentation I don't immediately recognize is, but sometimes fairly simple (in the everyday sense of the word) groups can have complicated presentations.

What is a presentation?

A presentation is a way of communicating information or ideas to an audience using visual aids, such as slides, images, or videos, accompanied by spoken words.

What is the purpose of a presentation?

The purpose of a presentation is to inform, persuade, or educate an audience about a specific topic or idea. It can also be used to share updates, proposals, or results with a group of people.

What are the key elements of a presentation?

The key elements of a presentation include a clear and concise message, engaging visuals, effective delivery, and audience interaction. It is important to have a well-structured presentation with a clear introduction, main points, and a strong conclusion.

How can I make my presentation more effective?

To make your presentation more effective, it is important to know your audience and tailor your message to their needs and interests. Use visual aids to enhance your message and engage the audience. Practice your delivery to ensure a confident and engaging presentation. Encourage audience participation and address any questions or concerns they may have.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a presentation?

Common mistakes to avoid in a presentation include reading directly from slides, using too much text or complicated visuals, and not practicing enough. It is also important to avoid using jargon or technical terms that may not be understood by all audience members. It is important to maintain eye contact and use body language to keep the audience engaged.