Easy question calculating uncertainty

• Thread starter LBRRIT2390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the mass uncertainty, \deltam, of the particle can be calculated using the formula \delta f(x_1, \cdots, x_n) = \sqrt{ \sum_{i = 1}^n \left( \frac{\partial f(x_1, \cdots, x_n)}{\partial x_i} \delta x_i \right)^2 }. By plugging in the given values for R, |q|, B, and v, the upper bound for m is 5.08 x 10-28 kg. However, to find the upper limit, the extreme values for v should be used, resulting in an upper bound of 5.03 x 10-
LBRRIT2390

Homework Statement

What is the mass uncertainty, [tex]\delta[/tex]m = m+ - m, of the particle?

Homework Equations

m = [tex]\frac{R*|q|*B}{v}[/tex]

where
R = (6.4[tex]\pm[/tex]0.1) cm (convert to meters so 0.064[tex]\pm[/tex]0.001)
|q| = 1.6*10-19
B = (2.50[tex]\pm0.02[/tex]) T
v = (5.25[tex]\pm0.04[/tex])x107

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that m = m = 4.88*10-28kg

When I tried to find the upper limit I got 4.95x10-28
and the lower limit, 4.80x10-28

My professor's answer sheet says that m+ = 5.03 x 10-28 kg
and [tex]\delta[/tex]m = 0.2x10-28 kg.

First of all, I don't know how he determined that [tex]\delta[/tex]m = 0.2x10-28 kg. Can someone help me?

Second of all, if m = (4.88*10-28kg) and [tex]\delta[/tex]m = 0.2x10-28 kg then shouldn't m+ = 5.08 x 10-28 kg?? NOT 5.03 x 10-28 kg??

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, the correct formula from error analysis is

[tex]\delta f(x_1, \cdots, x_n) = \sqrt{ \sum_{i = 1}^n \left( \frac{\partial f(x_1, \cdots, x_n)}{\partial x_i} \delta x_i \right)^2 }[/tex]
where [itex]\delta x_i[/itex] is the uncertainty in xi.

So in this particular case, you would get
[tex]
(\delta m)^2 =
\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial R} \frac{R|q|B}{v} \right)^2 (\delta R)^2 +
\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial |q|} \frac{R|q|B}{v} \right)^2 (\delta |q|)^2 +
\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial B} \frac{R|q|B}{v} \right)^2 (\delta B)^2 +
\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial v} \frac{R|q|B}{v} \right)^2 (\delta v)^2.
[/tex]

Sorry, you can disregard my earlier post. I missed that you posted in precalculus and using a much simpler formula.

Note that to find the upper bound, you have to plug in the extreme values, such that the result for m will be as large as possible.
There is a variable v in the denominator. That means that to make m large, you should make v small. For example, 1/1000 is smaller than 1/10.

In other words, you shouldn't use 5.29 x 107 for the extremal value of v, but 5.51 x 107.

1. What is uncertainty and why is it important in science?

Uncertainty refers to the inherent variability and limitations in our measurements and calculations. It is important in science because it helps us understand the reliability and accuracy of our data and results, and allows us to make informed decisions based on our findings.

2. How do you calculate uncertainty?

To calculate uncertainty, you need to determine the range of possible values that could reasonably represent the true value of a measurement or calculation. This can be done by estimating the precision and accuracy of your instruments and methods, and using statistical techniques such as standard deviation or confidence intervals.

3. What is the difference between systematic and random uncertainty?

Systematic uncertainty, also known as bias, refers to the consistent overestimation or underestimation of the true value in a measurement or calculation. Random uncertainty, on the other hand, is caused by random errors that occur due to chance and can be reduced by repeating measurements and taking the average.

4. How can uncertainty affect the validity of scientific results?

Uncertainty can affect the validity of scientific results by introducing potential errors and inaccuracies that can skew the findings. It is important to consider and report uncertainty in scientific research to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.

5. Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in scientific measurements and calculations?

No, uncertainty can never be completely eliminated in scientific measurements and calculations. However, it can be minimized through careful calibration of instruments, repeated measurements, and using appropriate statistical methods to analyze and report the data. It is important to always consider and account for uncertainty in scientific research to ensure the validity of the results.