Drag force (external forced convection)

In summary, drag force is the force exerted on an object in a fluid due to friction, and is related to the velocity of the fluid. Its magnitude is affected by factors such as object shape and size, fluid velocity, and properties. Drag force can impact an object's motion by slowing it down, changing its direction, or causing turbulence in the fluid flow. It can be calculated using the drag equation or measured experimentally.
quessy

Homework Statement

Air at 20kPa and 20°C flows across 5cm diameter cylinder at velocity of 20m/s. Compute the drag force exerted on the cylinder

Homework Equations

the formula should be use is this, FD = CD*A*den*V^2 / 2
where FD & CD is the drag force and drag coefficient, respectively

The Attempt at a Solution

i already have density & velocity. my questions are:

1.) I am a little confuse (pls don't laugh)..the cylinder is exposed to the flowing air right? or is the air flowing inside the cylinder?

2.) for the area A, based on my references it is the frontal area which is L*D, the length is not given what should i do?

3.) my way in solving for the drag coeff is to solve first for the reynolds number and refer to the figure provided in the book..am i doing it right? is it accurate?

thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. Based on the given information, it seems like the air is flowing across the cylinder, which means the cylinder is exposed to the air flow.

2. In this case, since the diameter of the cylinder is given (5cm), you can use the formula for the area of a circle (A = πr^2) to calculate the frontal area. In this case, the radius would be 2.5cm, so the frontal area would be approximately 19.63 cm^2.

3. Yes, calculating the Reynolds number and referring to a figure or table for the drag coefficient is a common method for estimating drag force. However, it is important to note that this method may not be completely accurate, as the actual drag force can be affected by other factors such as surface roughness and turbulence. It is always best to use experimental data or simulations to get a more accurate estimation of drag force.

1. What is drag force in external forced convection?

Drag force is the force exerted on an object moving through a fluid due to the friction between the object and the fluid. In external forced convection, this force is caused by the interaction between the fluid and the surface of the object.

2. How is drag force related to the velocity of the fluid?

The drag force is directly proportional to the velocity of the fluid. This means that as the fluid's velocity increases, the drag force on the object also increases.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of drag force?

The magnitude of drag force is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the velocity of the fluid, and the properties of the fluid such as viscosity and density.

4. How does drag force impact the motion of an object in a fluid?

Drag force can slow down the motion of an object in a fluid, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. It can also cause the object to change direction or experience turbulence in the fluid flow.

5. How is drag force calculated?

The drag force can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the object's shape, size, velocity, and properties of the fluid. It is also possible to measure drag force experimentally using devices such as a force balance or a flow visualization system.