Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment)

In summary, the disappearance of the interference pattern in the double-slit experiment is not due to the electron "knowing" it is being watched, but rather the collapse of its wave function when it is detected. And while time may appear to pass at a slower rate for the electron, it does not stop entirely.
lmerriam
Haste made waste (I managed to get it precisely backwards, sorry. Corrected below. And please, somebody, clue me in here :confused:

Hello,

I'm uncomfortable with the usual description of this experiment and wonder if this is justified. In a nutshell, when (in the usual double-slit setup) detectors are placed between the barrier and the final screen -- such that an electron, say, has already move past the two-slits -- NO interference pattern will form as though the detection had been made earlier, resulting in the observation of particles instead of waves. It is then suggested that the electron knows it was watched and adjusts its behavior in the past to conform accordingly.

Here's my problem with this ...

Electrons travel at the speed of light where time either does not exist at all, or perhaps simply stops (I recall reading it being the former .. is this correct, btw??). Regardless ... although from our perspective the electron most certainly crossed the barrier before it reached the detector beyond, from the electron's point of view no time elapsed at all; hence, there was no delay to speak of.

Am I missing something?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up your concerns about the common description of the double-slit experiment. It is understandable that you find the explanation of the electron adjusting its behavior in the past to be confusing. However, I would like to clarify that the electron does not actually "know" it is being watched and adjust its behavior accordingly. This is simply a way of explaining the unexpected results of the experiment.

In reality, the interference pattern disappears because the act of detection itself changes the state of the electron. When the electron passes through the barrier, it exists in a superposition of states, acting as both a particle and a wave. However, when it is detected, it collapses into a single state, either a particle or a wave, depending on the type of measurement being made. This collapse of the wave function is what causes the interference pattern to disappear.

As for your question about time and the speed of light, it is true that the closer an object gets to the speed of light, the slower time appears to pass for that object. However, this does not mean that time stops for the electron. It simply means that time appears to pass at a slower rate for it compared to an observer outside of its frame of reference.

I hope this helps to clarify any misunderstandings you may have had about the double-slit experiment. Keep questioning and seeking answers, as that is the essence of science.

1. What is a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment)?

A Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) is a thought experiment proposed by physicist John Wheeler to test the concept of retrocausality, which suggests that the future can influence the past. It involves the use of a double-slit experiment and a delayed choice apparatus to determine whether the observer's decision to measure or not measure the particles affects their behavior.

2. How does a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) work?

In a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment), a beam of particles is directed towards a barrier with two slits. On the other side of the barrier, a detection screen is placed to record the particles' behavior. The particles can behave as waves and exhibit interference patterns, or as particles and create two distinct bands. The delayed choice apparatus gives the observer the option to measure or not measure the particles after they have passed through the slits. The results of the experiment depend on the observer's decision, suggesting a potential influence of the future on the past.

3. What is the significance of the results of a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment)?

The results of a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) have significant implications for our understanding of time and causality. They suggest that the future can have an effect on the past, challenging our traditional understanding of cause and effect. This experiment also has implications for quantum mechanics, as it raises questions about the nature of particles and the role of consciousness in determining their behavior.

4. Has a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) been conducted in a laboratory setting?

Yes, a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) has been successfully conducted in a laboratory setting using photons and electrons. These experiments have produced results consistent with the concept of retrocausality, further supporting the idea that the future can influence the past.

5. How does the concept of retrocausality in a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) relate to time travel?

The concept of retrocausality in a Reposting (Delayed Choice Experiment) does not necessarily imply the possibility of time travel. It suggests that the future can have an effect on the past, but it does not necessarily mean that we can travel back in time. Time travel would require a much more complex understanding of time and causality and is still a subject of debate and speculation in the scientific community.