2nd semester calc question : calculating volume of solid of revolution

In summary, Dick provided a summary of the content. He explained that when the region bounded by y = x^2 and y = 2 - x^2 is revolved about the x-axis, a solid will form. He also mentioned that when solving a problem, one should use pi instead of 2pi for the disc method. He also mentioned that the limits of integration may be from 0 to 1 if the function is even and has symmetry. Lastly, Dick said that if one is missing something, they should cry.
Sentience

Homework Statement

The solid formed when the region bounded by y = x^2 and y = 2 - x^2 is revolved about the x-axis

Homework Equations

disc method with respect to x-axis

the integral of : (pi * (f(x)^2 - g(x)^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

When I square each function and integrate the resulting difference I get :

4x - 4x^3/3 with limits of integration from 0 to 1 (x = 0 and x = 1)

My final answer is 8pi/3 (eight pi thirds)

My solutions manual gives me an answer of 16pi/3. However, I noticed that they have a constant factored out of their integral of 2pi instead of just pi. You are supposed to use pi instead of 2pi for the disc method, hence their answer being exactly double what mine is.

Either this is a mistake on my book's part or I am missing something :(

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your limits again. You want the region bounded between the two curves. It doesn't say the y-axis is a boundary. The '2' is there for a different reason than you think.

Dick, thanks for the response.

However, I did leave out the boundary was supposed to be between x^2, 2 -x^2, and the x axis.

I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I think it does. Would my new limits of integration be from 0 to where (2-x^2) hits the x axis?? (+ and - root (2))

Sentience said:
I think it does. Would my new limits of integration be from 0 to where (2-x^2) hits the x axis?? (+ and - root (2))

Where do the two curves intersect? They don't intersect at x=0.

LOL

Ok, they intersect at 1 and -1. They evaluated the integral from 0 to 1 and multiplied it by two since these functions are even and have symmetry.

So, with my constant of pi I should have evaluated it from -1 to 1.

If that isn't it I think I may just cry.

Don't cry. That's it. They probably shouldn't have used symmetry without saying so. It's doesn't really make it that much easier.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

To calculate the volume of a solid of revolution, you will need to use the disk or washer method. This involves integrating the area of cross-sections of the solid along the axis of revolution.

2. What is the difference between the disk and washer method?

The disk method is used when the axis of revolution is the x-axis, while the washer method is used when the axis of revolution is any other line parallel to the x-axis. The washer method involves subtracting the inner disk's volume from the outer disk's volume to account for any holes or gaps in the solid.

3. Can I use any function to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, you can use any function as long as it meets the criteria for the disk or washer method. This means that it must be continuous, positive, and bounded on the interval of revolution.

4. How do I know which method to use for a given solid?

You can determine which method to use by identifying the axis of revolution and the shape of the cross-sections of the solid. If the axis of revolution is the x-axis and the cross-sections are circular, you will use the disk method. If the axis of revolution is not the x-axis and the cross-sections are either circular or annular (with a hole), you will use the washer method.

5. Are there any other methods to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, there are other methods such as the cylindrical shell method and the Pappus's centroid theorem. These methods may be more efficient for certain solids, but the disk and washer methods are the most commonly used in calculus courses.