What is the Pressure Change in an Aortic Aneurysm?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of an aortic aneurysm and the calculation of the blood pressure difference between the normal blood vessel and the aneurysm. The flow rate through the aorta and the radius of the aneurysm are provided, along with the assumption that the blood is nonviscous and the patient is lying down. The solution involves finding the velocity of the blood in both the normal vessel and the aneurysm and using Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure difference.
trace

Homework Statement

In an aortic aneurysm, a bulge forms where the walls of the aorta are
weakened. If blood flowing through the aorta (radius 1.0 cm) enters an aneurysm with a radius of 2.5 cm, how much on average is the blood pressure higher inside the aneurysm than the pressure in the unenlarged part of the aorta? The average flow rate through the aorta is 120 cm3/s. Assume the blood is nonviscous and the patient is lying down so there is no change in height.
A. 150 kPa B. 75Pa C. 75 kPa D. 62 Pa E. 750 Pa

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I was on the right track, I found the area of both the normal blood vessel, and where the aneurysm is using A=pi*r^2 for A1= 3.142 and A2= 19.63, then I used rate flow=A1v1=A2v2 to find the velocity in both. I got v1= 38.20 and v2= 6.116.

I know I should somehow use Bernoulli's equation, or I think I should, but I have no idea what to do now.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://sadpanda.us/images/356707-AZHJ37V.jpg

If the image link above doesn't work, open the file I attached herein..

Attachments

• Copy of my reply.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does pressure change affect flow rate?

When pressure increases, flow rate also increases. This is because the increased pressure pushes the fluid through the system with more force, resulting in a higher flow rate.

2. Is there a direct relationship between pressure change and flow rate?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between pressure change and flow rate. As pressure increases, flow rate also increases.

3. Can flow rate be controlled by changing pressure?

Yes, flow rate can be controlled by changing pressure. By adjusting the pressure, the rate at which fluid flows through a system can be increased or decreased.

4. How does fluid viscosity affect the relationship between pressure change and flow rate?

Fluid viscosity, or thickness, can affect the relationship between pressure change and flow rate. Higher viscosity fluids may experience a slower increase in flow rate with increasing pressure compared to lower viscosity fluids.

5. Is pressure change the only factor that affects flow rate?

No, pressure change is not the only factor that affects flow rate. Other factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the length of the pipe, and the fluid viscosity can also impact the flow rate. These factors should be considered when analyzing the relationship between pressure change and flow rate.