Voltage difference, current flow

In summary: Keep in mind that the resistance ratio is squared because it involves area, which is proportional to the square of the diameter. Overall, good job summarizing the conversation and providing a clear and concise solution. In summary, the current flowing through the silver wire will be 21.13 mA and the charge passing through the copper wire in 10 minutes will be 3.33 C. The expressions for resistance and resistance ratio were used to find the solution.
kevnm67

Homework Statement

A voltage difference is applied to a piece of copper wire, a 5.0 mA current flows. The copper wire is replaced with a silver wire with twice the diameter of the copper wire.

A) How much current will flow through the silver wire? The lengths of both wires are the same, and the voltage difference remains unchanged. (The resistivity of copper is 1.68 x 10-8 ohms*meters and the resistivity of silver is 1.59 x 10-8 ohms*meters.)

B) How much charge passes through the copper wire in 10 minutes? (in C)

Homework Equations

V=IR
p=RA/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start. Theres a difference in diameter so I figured p=RA/L might be useful but I am not sure. Looking for some direction, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write expressions for the resistance of each type of wire. Use the given information to write an expression for the ratio of the two in terms of known values.

gneill said:
Write expressions for the resistance of each type of wire. Use the given information to write an expression for the ratio of the two in terms of known values.

The first time I tried this I made a ratio and said it was 4 times that of Cu but that gives 20mA and the answer is 21mA, not sure if I did this correct: p=RA/L and the diameter is twice that of Ag and since A is pi(r)2 I arbitrarily assigned the values of 2 for the diameter of Cu and 4 Ag

I suspect that you forgot to keep the ratio of the resistivities in your expression.

Last edited:
So does this sound like I am moving in the right direction...
pAg/pCu = .95
Ag: p=RA/L

.95=2^2
=4.23

So 4.23 x 5mA = 21.13

The result looks good!

1. What is voltage difference?

Voltage difference, also known as potential difference, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that drives the flow of electric charge.

2. How is voltage difference related to current flow?

Voltage difference and current flow are directly proportional. This means that the higher the voltage difference, the greater the current flow. Conversely, a decrease in voltage difference will result in a decrease in current flow.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current flow?

Current flow is measured in amperes (A), which represents the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit. One ampere is equal to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

4. How is current flow affected by resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or device opposes the flow of electric current. According to Ohm's Law, current flow is inversely proportional to resistance. This means that as resistance increases, current flow decreases and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

Direct current (DC) flows in one direction only, while alternating current (AC) periodically reverses direction. DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices, while AC is used in power grids and household outlets. The flow of current in an AC circuit is constantly changing, while in a DC circuit it remains constant.