Building a high flow rate pulsatile pump

In summary, the speaker is seeking resources and advice on building a high flow rate pump controlled by a LabVIEW VI. They are considering different types of pumps, such as gear or rotary, and hope someone with experience can provide guidance. They mention the possibility of using a peristaltic pump for accurate calibration.
feedmeister
Hi All,

I was given the challenge of building a high flow rate pump, but I haven't been able to find any resources were useful. I'd like to control the pump and its pulsatile nature with a LabVIEW VI. I know I'd have to get a stepper motor and a DAQ board, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'd like to use this to flow fluid (like blood analogs) through different tubing and geometries. I'd like to get the pump to be able to do around 100 ml/s or higher.

I'd consider a gear pump, piston, rotary, or any other as long as I could get a constant flow going through. However, I think a gear pump or rotary might be best.. but not sure.

Hopefully someone here has experience in building/controlling pumps and can give me a few resources that I can use to get started. I'm sure I can find my way through everything once I can figure out what I actually have to do.

Thanks a lot,

Engineering news on Phys.org
LOL, when I hear "high flow" I think of Hoover Dam. But for blood, I don't think that's what you mean.

I think you mean Peristaltic Pump. Those are a kind of positive displacement pump, so you can accurately calibrate the ml pumped per revolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

1. What is a high flow rate pulsatile pump?

A high flow rate pulsatile pump is a mechanical device that is designed to mimic the pulsatile flow of blood in the body. It is used in medical research and clinical applications to replicate the natural flow of blood in organs, tissues, and blood vessels.

2. Why is a high flow rate pulsatile pump important in scientific research?

A high flow rate pulsatile pump is important in scientific research because it allows for the study of how organs, tissues, and blood vessels respond to specific flow patterns. This can provide valuable insights into the functioning of the cardiovascular system and help in the development of treatments for various conditions.

3. What factors affect the flow rate of a pulsatile pump?

The flow rate of a pulsatile pump can be affected by various factors, including the pump design, pump speed, and the properties of the fluid being pumped. Additionally, the compliance and resistance of the tubing and other components in the pump system can also impact the flow rate.

4. How is a high flow rate pulsatile pump calibrated?

A high flow rate pulsatile pump is typically calibrated using a flowmeter, which measures the volume of fluid passing through the pump per unit of time. The flow rate can be adjusted by changing the pump speed or the properties of the fluid being pumped to achieve the desired flow rate.

5. What are some common applications of a high flow rate pulsatile pump?

A high flow rate pulsatile pump has various applications in scientific research, including the study of cardiovascular diseases, the development and testing of medical devices, and the investigation of drug delivery methods. It can also be used in simulations of physiological processes and in the training of medical professionals.