Deriving a formula for calculating dB based on distance

In summary, the decibel level from a sound source at 1.0 m is 60.0 dB. To find the dB level at a distance of 2.0 m, you can use the formula dB = 10 log10 (I/I0) and the intensity equation I = P/(4πr²) to calculate the power at 1 m and then use the second formula dB = dBi - 20 log10 (r2/r1) to find the relative dB level at 2 m.
wtfbuck

Homework Statement

Decibel level from source at 1.0 m is 60.0 dB

Find dB level at distance 2.0 m.

Homework Equations

dB = 10 log10 (I/I0) <- this one I know but couldn't see an application.

Forgot to add that I0 is equal to 1.0 x 10^-12 W/m^2

dB = dBi - 20 log10 (r2/r1), where r2 is the farther sound source and r1 is the closer one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I arrived at the correct answer of 54.0 dB by using the looked up formula. But I'd rather know how to derive that formula that relates the source distances myself. I tried for a while but am unable to do it. Anyone able to give me some insight on how to arrive at the second formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
The intensity of sound diminishes with distance from the source in the same way as light or strength of gravity - because it spreads out in space. The source has a certain power in watts. You can find out the intensity (watts per meter squared) at a distance r by realizing that the power spreads out over the surface area of a sphere with radius r:
I = P/(4πr²)
You can use this once to find the P since you know I at distance 1 meter. After you know P, use it again to find the I at distance 2 meters.

The decibel level is really just a comparison of two sounds as you see from dB1 = 10 log10 (I/I0). Put in the values of I and I0 to see what it is. It will, of course, be negative because the I is lower than I0. The sound at 2 m is so many decibels lower than the sound level at 1 m.

Decibel level from source at 1.0 m is 60.0 dB
This is a whole other definition of dB. Some intensity has been defined as being 1 dB and the formula has been used to find that the intensity of this sound at distance 1 m is 60 dB louder than the defined value. Take the 60 dB and subtract the dB1 value you calculated earlier to get this relative db value at 2 m. Say it is 6 dB lower than the 60 dB sound; then it is 54 dB relative to the original defined value.

Appreciate the help Delphi. I can see the relationship now.

1. How do you calculate dB based on distance?

To calculate dB based on distance, you can use the following formula: dB = 10 log (I/I0), where I0 is the reference intensity and I is the intensity at the given distance.

2. What is the reference intensity in the dB formula?

The reference intensity, I0, is the sound intensity at a specified distance from the source. It is typically measured at a distance of 1 meter.

3. Can the dB formula be used for all types of sound?

Yes, the dB formula can be used for all types of sound, including both audible and inaudible sounds. It is a unit of measurement for sound intensity.

4. How does distance affect dB?

The intensity of sound decreases as distance from the source increases. This means that the dB level decreases as distance increases, following the inverse square law.

5. Is the dB formula the only way to measure sound intensity?

No, the dB formula is not the only way to measure sound intensity. Other units, such as pascals and watts per square meter, can also be used to measure sound intensity. However, dB is a commonly used unit due to its logarithmic scale and ease of use in calculations.