PD (proportional derivative) controller

In summary, textbooks typically state that the natural frequency remains unchanged when a proportional derivative controller is used, but this is only true when the proportional part of the controller is unity. Otherwise, the natural frequency is multiplied by Kp. Different textbooks may have different ways of connecting the controller, with some manufacturers splitting the K value to apply to the derivative and others using a positive feed forward. The standards for connecting a PD controller may also differ between the US and Europe. Modern control theory was developed after WW2 and the teaching methods for this field are still evolving.
phiby
All the books I have read say that when a proportional derivative controller is used the natural frequency remains the same.

However, this is true only when the proportional part of the PD is unity.

Otherwise the natural frequency is multiplied by Kp

i.e. if the original Characteristeric equation is

s2 + 2Zwns + w2n

(I am using Z instead of Zeta for damping ratio &
w for frequency instead of omega - it's difficult to type those out)

With a PD controller (P & D connected additively)
the new charac eqn becomes

s2 + 2Zwns + Kdw2n + Kpw2n

So now natural frequency here is Kp multiplied by the original frequency.

So why do all textbooks say that natural frequency remains unchanged by PD controller?

Also, above, I have TF of the Controller to be
Gc = Kp + Kds

However, in one textbook, I noticed that they have the TF of the Controller to be
Gc = Kp(1 + Kds)

I tried to figure out why they have it this way
I feel the above will be true only if they have the connection in the following way.

After the proportional gain, the line is split (with a takeoff point). The Takeoff point does
a positive feed forward before it's connected to the plant/process.
There is the derivative controller in one path of the split & a unity gain on the other path.
Is this a standard way of connecting a PD controller?

Engineering news on Phys.org
""Is this a standard way of connecting a PD controller? ""

well, in my day it depended on who built the controller.
Some manufacturers let the K value apply to the derivative, others split it as you describe.

By now there are doutless industry standards and they may be different for US and Europe i don't know.

So you are at the mercy of what your textbook's author grew up with.

Be aware that "Modern Control Theory" was largely developed after WW2.
Descartes stumbled across the behavior of feedback systems but in his day there were no automatic machines to apply it . So it remained just a curiosity for nearly three centuries. When the Germans built their rockets they revived his math and their textbooks on the subject were among the War Prizes brought back with Von Braun et al.

So it's a relatively young field whose teaching methods are still being shaken out, imho.

old jim

1. What is a PD controller?

A PD controller, also known as a proportional derivative controller, is a type of feedback control system used in engineering and science. It calculates the error between a desired setpoint and the actual output of a system, and then adjusts the control input based on both the proportional and derivative terms of the error.

2. How does a PD controller work?

A PD controller works by taking the difference between the desired setpoint and the actual output, known as the error. The controller then multiplies this error by two constants - the proportional gain and the derivative gain - and uses these values to adjust the control input, which in turn affects the output. The proportional gain determines the strength of the response to the error, and the derivative gain helps to improve stability and reduce overshoot.

3. What are the advantages of using a PD controller?

There are several advantages to using a PD controller. One is that it allows for fast and accurate response to changes in the system. This is because the proportional term can quickly adjust the control input based on the error, while the derivative term helps to reduce any overshoot. Additionally, PD controllers are relatively simple and easy to implement, making them a popular choice in many applications.

4. What are the limitations of a PD controller?

While PD controllers have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One limitation is that they cannot account for disturbances or errors in the system that are not directly related to the output. This can lead to inaccuracies in the control input and a less stable system. Additionally, PD controllers may not be suitable for highly nonlinear systems, as they rely on linear approximations of the system dynamics.

5. What are some common applications of PD controllers?

PD controllers are used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, process control, and motor control. They are often used in conjunction with other control methods, such as PID controllers, to improve performance and stability. PD controllers are also commonly used in systems that require precise positioning or tracking, such as satellite tracking systems or laser scanners.