Do NASA's interplanetary missions require Einsteinian corrections?

• NASA
  • Thread starter SUDOnym
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nasa
In summary: I'm not sure what your point is, but it doesn't seem like there is a huge discrepancy between what you say and what Nabeshin said.
SUDOnym
Do NASA use Einsteinian corrections (either SR or GR) when doing interplanetary missions? or is it purely Newtonian calculations?
-I'm almost certain that it was purely Newtonian mechanics for the moon missions...

Physics news on Phys.org
While I can't answer for a fact, I would be very surprised if they didn't use GR, considering that they are shooting a hunk of metal that could cost upwards of a $100 million and hoping to hit a target millions of miles away, besides the fact that they are all physicists...

Fairly sure only Newtonian mechanics is used for flight paths. The velocities are far too low for special relativistic corrections to come into play, and the bodies in question are either not very massive (planets) or at quite a distance away (the sun).

I do not even know if someone has in practice calculated geodesics in a multi-body system using full GR. It's certainly absurd. It's conceivable to include post-Newtonian corrections, but likely these would still be swamped by normal uncertainties. At any rate, the calculation in full GR is very much overkill.

Really? I'm surprised, while I can't even begin to imagine the complexity of the equations, it seems that with the expenses and time involved it would be worth it.

They probably ran the numbers just to be sure, but, as Nabeshin noted any deviation from standard Newtonian mechanics would be negligible and easily compensated for by attitude control rockets.

To accurate model the orbits of the planets for a long period of time one must look beyond Newtonian physics to some extent. JPL uses a post-Newtonian correction to develop its planetary ephemerides. JPL may well employ a post-Newtonian correction for the paths of their interplanetary missions, but only because they already have this mechanism in place. (They almost certainly do not have it in place in the spacecraft flight software. If they do use a post-Newtonian correction, it would be in the best estimate of trajectory (BET) calculations performed after the fact.)

Those corrections are not truly needed for interplanetary missions. As Nabeshin mentioned, the errors in the sensors, effectors, and control algorithms on the spacecraft and in the errors in the external measurements used to anchor the spacecraft 's state will vastly overwhelm the tiny errors that result from ignoring relativistic effects. The time spans are too short, and except for missions to Mercury, the gravitational effects are too small, for GR to result in any noticeable deviation from Newtonian gravity.

Last edited:

What is NASA's current interplanetary mission?

NASA's current interplanetary mission is the Mars 2020 mission, which aims to study the habitability of Mars and search for signs of past microbial life.

How many interplanetary missions has NASA launched?

NASA has launched a total of 26 interplanetary missions, including flybys, orbiters, and landers.

What is the most distant planet that NASA has sent a mission to?

The most distant planet that NASA has sent a mission to is Neptune, with the Voyager 2 spacecraft conducting a flyby in 1989.

How long does it take for a NASA interplanetary mission to reach its destination?

The travel time for a NASA interplanetary mission varies depending on the destination and launch date. For example, the New Horizons mission to Pluto took 9.5 years to reach its destination, while the Juno mission to Jupiter took 5 years.

What technologies does NASA use to explore other planets?

NASA uses a variety of technologies to explore other planets, including spacecraft, rovers, landers, and orbiters. These technologies are equipped with various instruments such as cameras, spectrometers, and radars to collect data and images from the target planet.