Big Test Prep- Questions (2 of 3)

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses a review test and the process of finding the work done on an object using two different methods: plotting F(x) and evaluating the integral analytically. There is some confusion about the notation and the correct method, but in the end, both methods yield the same result of (3/2)F0X0.
Tom McCurdy
Big Test Prep-- Questions (2 of 3)

Alright we are having a review test and I needed to go back to the stuff we did earlier this year and I am having some trouble remembering what to do...
:shy: how can i forget this stuff you ask... I don't know

The Force exerted on an object is [tex] F=F_0(X/X_o-1) [/tex] Find the work done in movieng the object from [tex]x=0[/tex] to [tex] x=3X_o[/tex]

a. by plotting F(x) and finding the area under the curve and

b. by evaluting the intergral analytically.

Answer: [tex] \frac{3}{2}F_oX_o [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
W = int (F(x)dx)

Remember that F0 and X0 are both just constants.

If you were to integrate that assuming xo and fo are constants would you not get

FoX(X-Xo)
----------
2Xo

Tom McCurdy said:
If you were to integrate that assuming xo and fo are constants would you not get

FoX(X-Xo)
----------
2Xo

Your notation is ambiguous. Is the original force function
[tex]F_0\frac{X}{X_0-1}[/tex]
or
[tex]F_0(\frac{X}{X_0}-1)[/tex]
??
If it is the first, then when X= 3X0, the force is 3F0X0/(X0-1) and when X= 0, it is 0. The area under is the area of a triangle: (1/2)(3X0)(3F0X0/(X0-1)
= 9F0X0/2(X0-1) which is exactly what you would get by integrating.

If it is the second, then when X= 3X0, the Force is 2F0 but when X=0, it is -F0 and the "force graph" has x-intercept at X= X0. Now the "area under the curve" is the area of the triangle with vertices at (X0,0), (3X0,0) and (3X0, 2F0) (which is 2F0X0) minus the area of the triangle with vertices at (X0,0), (0,0) and (0,-F0) which is (1/2)F0X0: work done (2- 1/2)F0X0=(3/2)F0X0. I guess that's the one you meant.

In terms of integration, The work would be the integral, from X= 0 to 3X0, of F0((X/X0- 1) dx. The anti-derivative of that is F0(X2/(2X0)- X). Evaluating that at 3X0 and 0 gives F0((9/2)X0-3X0)= F0(3/2)X0 as before.

1. What subjects does "Big Test Prep" cover?

Big Test Prep covers a variety of subjects, including math, science, English, and social studies. It also offers test-taking strategies and tips for specific standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and GRE.

2. How can "Big Test Prep" help me prepare for standardized tests?

"Big Test Prep" provides comprehensive study materials and practice tests that closely mimic the format and content of standardized tests. It also offers personalized study plans and strategies to help improve test-taking skills and increase scores.

3. Is "Big Test Prep" suitable for all levels of education?

Yes, "Big Test Prep" is designed for students at all levels of education, from middle school to graduate school. It offers materials and strategies for a wide range of standardized tests, including those for college admissions, graduate school admissions, and professional certifications.

4. Can I access "Big Test Prep" online or is it only available in print?

"Big Test Prep" is available both in print and online. The online platform offers interactive study materials and practice tests, as well as the option to track progress and receive personalized recommendations.

5. Is "Big Test Prep" based on specific educational standards?

Yes, "Big Test Prep" is based on the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards. It also aligns with the content and format of various standardized tests, such as the SAT and ACT.