How can I graph an implicit equation on my TI-89/92 calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses graphing equations and differential fields on a TI graphing calculator. It is mentioned that the calculator must be set to differential equation mode and the equation must be solved explicitly for the dependent variable. Alternative software, such as Winplot, is suggested for graphing non-function equations. The conversation also includes tips and tricks for using the calculator and Winplot.
NeutronStar
I have a TI graphing calculator and I'd like to graph the following equation,...

[tex]x^3+y^3-3xy = 0[/tex]

I'm not sure how to graph this on my TI

I took the derivative of the above with respect to x,...

[tex]3x^2+3y^2\frac {dy}{dx}-3x\frac{dy}{dx}-3y=0[/tex]

Which I solved as,...

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y-x^2}{y^2-x}[/tex]

I'd also like to graph this differential field if possble.

Any suggestions for graphing either the original equation or the differential equation?

I have access to both the TI-89 and the TI-92 calculators. Thanks. :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The TI 89, 92, voyage 200 or the 89 platinum edition are all very similar. For any of these calculators to graph a function you must solve the equation explicitly for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. If you want to be able to graph an equation that is not a function you will need some computer software. I would recommend winplot because it is free and very easy to use.

To graph a slope field you must set your calculator graphing mode to Differential Equations mode. On my voyage 200 I have a mode button that will allow me to access the options page so I can set my graphing mode to Differential equations. Once you are in the diff eq mode then proceed to your y= window where you can then enter your diff eq as dy/dx. The next line below that is for your initial conditions. That should get you started but you really should refer to the manual for the calc. The PDF version is free online from texas instrument. I believe the web addy is http://education.ti.com/us/product/tech/89/guide/89guideus.html

Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 89 and have had it for a few years, so I'mvery familiar with it. It can only graph explicit functions and slope fields for linear first order ODEs.

So you can't graph any of those.

The 89 can graph implicit functions of 2 variables and slope fields. It can probably even do the latter for equations of higher order than one.

Set your graphing mode to 3D. Go to the y= menu and enter the implict equation into one of the slots. Then go to the Format menu (either from the F1 menu or press Diamond / | , the one right above EE) and for style, select Implicit Plot.

It can also do the slope field plot. Set the mode to DEQs, enter your equation (don't forget the indeces on the y's), and then in the Format menu set Fields to SLPFLD.

--J

Last edited:
Justin Lazear said:
The 89 can graph implicit functions of 2 variables and slope fields. It can probably even do the latter for equations of higher order than one.

Set your graphing mode to 3D. Go to the y= menu and enter the implict equation into one of the slots. Then go to the Format menu (either from the F1 menu or press Diamond / | , the one right above EE) and for style, select Implicit Plot.

It can also do the slope field plot. Set the mode to DEQs, enter your equation (don't forget the indeces on the y's), and then in the Format menu set Fields to SLPFLD.

--J

Thanks Justin!

I knew the calculator could do it, I just wasn't familiar enough with how to run it. I didn't realize that the 3-D mode could also do implicit functions. I also didn't realize that the differential equations feature would accept the y1 without having to define it explicitly. That's cool!

This was almost too easy. It's like magic. :approve:

Winplot

Townsend said:
If you want to be able to graph an equation that is not a function you will need some computer software. I would recommend winplot because it is free and very easy to use.
I was able to graph them on my TI implicitly as Justin described. But I also downloaded that Winplot program and was able to graph everything on there as well.

Thanks for the tip about Winplot. That's a nifty little program. :approve:

I was able to plot both the implicit equation and the derivative field in the same window in Winplot. I've enclosed the results of that plot in the attachment in case anyone is interested in seeing the capabilities of Winplot.

Attachments

• implicit.bmp
    19.7 KB · Views: 555

What is a TI-89/92 graphing calculator?

A TI-89/92 graphing calculator is a handheld calculator designed for advanced mathematical calculations and graphing. It is commonly used by students and professionals in fields such as mathematics, science, and engineering.

What are the main features of a TI-89/92 graphing calculator?

Some of the main features of a TI-89/92 graphing calculator include a large display screen, advanced graphing capabilities, built-in functions for algebra and calculus, programmability, and the ability to solve equations and perform statistical analysis.

How do I use a TI-89/92 graphing calculator?

To use a TI-89/92 graphing calculator, you can follow the user manual or watch tutorial videos online. Some basic functions include entering equations, graphing them, and using the various built-in functions for calculations. You can also customize the settings and program the calculator according to your needs.

Can I use a TI-89/92 graphing calculator on exams?

The use of a TI-89/92 graphing calculator on exams depends on the rules set by the exam board. Some exams may allow the use of these calculators, while others may have restrictions or not allow them at all. It is important to check with your instructor or exam regulations beforehand.

How do I reset a TI-89/92 graphing calculator?

To reset a TI-89/92 graphing calculator, you can press the "2nd" button followed by the "mode" button. This will bring up the "Mem Mgmt/Del" menu where you can select "Reset All Memory" to reset the calculator to its factory settings. Note that this will erase all data and programs on the calculator.