Magnetic Field at center of circle on rectangular circuit

In summary, the homework problem involves a circuit with 7 sections of wire, arranged in a rectangle of length 9cm and width 5cm with a circle of diameter 3cm cutting through one of the 9cm sides. The task is to find the magnetic field at the center of the circle using symmetry. The current can be calculated from the given information, but it is unclear which current should be used in the equation for the magnetic field of a circular loop. The question is how to factor in the effect of the rectangle when calculating the magnetic field at the center of the circle. It would be helpful to provide a small figure and a specific question, rather than a lengthy explanation.
soccerscholar

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of 7 sections of wire. The figure looks like a rectangle of length 9cm and width 5cm with a circle of diameter 3 cm cutting right through the middle of one of the 9cm sides so that the two sides of the circle are in parallel. Each of the sections of wire also has a resistance. I am supposed to find the magnetic field at the center of the circle using symmetry.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured out the current based on the givens, but how do I find the magnetic field at the center of the circle using this? Which current would I use in the equation for magnetic field of a circular loop (Bcircular loop- see above), would I use the current of the rectangle part of the circuit, or one of the currents in the circle? How do I factor in the effect of the rectangle when I calculate the magnetic field at the center of the circle? Thanks for any help, I just need guidance and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
It be better if you substitute your so lengthy question with a small figure and a reasonable question. Point out the exact matter of doubt instead of writing this and that. It makes more sense then.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field at the center of a circle on a rectangular circuit?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field at the center of a circle on a rectangular circuit is B = μ₀I/2R, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the circuit, and R is the radius of the circular path.

2. Will the magnetic field at the center of the circle be affected by changing the shape of the circuit?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of the circle will be affected by changing the shape of the circuit. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the current and the distance from the center, so changing the shape of the circuit will change the distance and therefore, the magnetic field strength.

3. Does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field at the center of the circle?

Yes, the direction of the current does affect the direction of the magnetic field at the center of the circle. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the current flow, following the right-hand rule.

4. How does the magnetic field at the center of the circle change as the current is increased?

As the current is increased, the magnetic field at the center of the circle will also increase. This is because the strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the circuit.

5. Can the magnetic field at the center of the circle be negative?

No, the magnetic field at the center of the circle cannot be negative. The magnetic field is a vector quantity and always has a magnitude and direction, but it cannot have a negative value. It can only have a direction opposite to the direction of the current flow.