Is All Electromagnetic Radiation Emitted by Charged Particles?

In summary, electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that can be emitted and absorbed by charged particles, such as electrons and quarks. It can also be produced by annihilation of particles, regardless of their charge. Thermal radiation from the human body is mostly caused by internal vibrations in polar molecules, such as H2O.
Froglet
I recently read an article online stating that electromagnetic radiation is 'a form of energy emitted and absorbed by charged particles'.

This isn't always correct, is it? I mean, I know that charged particles that are accelerating can emit bremsstrahlung and synchrotron radiation, but my own body will emit thermal infra-red, and I'm not made up of charged particles. Also, as I understand it, an atom can emit or absorb e-m radiation simply by electron transitions between energy levels; the atom is still neutral (although it could be in an excited state.)

Am I correct, or hopelessly confused?

Thanks,

Paul.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Paul! :smile:
Froglet said:
I recently read an article online stating that electromagnetic radiation is 'a form of energy emitted and absorbed by charged particles'.

… an atom can emit or absorb e-m radiation simply by electron transitions between energy levels

but that is emission by charged particles, isn't it? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Paul! :smile:

but that is emission by charged particles, isn't it? :confused:

:rofl: Yes, you're right of course...brain-freeze moment on my part! No further replies necessary!

Basically charges affects other charge solely via EMF (photons).Roman.

Electromagnetic radiation also comes from annihilation of particles, regardless of charge. I suppose an uncharged black hole also emits EM radiation.

In the annihilation of particles charge is conserved and as far as I know Electromagnetic radiation is still created by Charge (electrons and/or quarks). In a black EM radiation is, as far as I know, created by Charges and escapes the event horizon due to virtual charged particle annihilation...

Cheers.Roman.

In the case of thermal radiation from your own body, it would mostly be a result of internal vibrations in polar molecules, such as H2O.

What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that travels through space at the speed of light. It is made up of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicularly to each other and to the direction of travel.

What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

The different types of electromagnetic radiation, in order of increasing energy and frequency, are radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How does electromagnetic radiation interact with matter?

Electromagnetic radiation can interact with matter in several ways. It can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The interaction depends on the energy of the radiation and the properties of the material it encounters.

What are some common sources of electromagnetic radiation?

Some common sources of electromagnetic radiation include the sun, light bulbs, cell phones, and microwaves. Other sources include X-ray machines, radio and TV towers, and power lines.

What are the potential health effects of exposure to electromagnetic radiation?

The potential health effects of exposure to electromagnetic radiation vary depending on the type and intensity of the radiation. Some potential effects include tissue damage, changes in cell function, and DNA damage. However, the levels of radiation from most common sources are not strong enough to cause these effects.