Confusing on Bravais lattice and base vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of primitive cells and vectors in defining a crystal structure. It is noted that a crystal with long-range positional ordering can have a primitive cell, while a glass or quasi-crystal do not. The definition of a primitive cell also depends on the arrangement of atoms in the crystal, with a true crystal having a periodically repeated unit cell and all atoms in the cell defining the basis for the Bravais lattice.
KFC
Hi there,
I know that primitive cell is not unique and there are more than one way to define the primitive vectors but my question is when we said "primitive vectors" do we have to construct the Bravais lattice with choosing a proper basis first? My reasoning is suppose the crystal consist of different type of atoms such that the atoms might not be arranged in a way of translational invariance, it seems not making sense to define primitive cell in that case, is that correct? Please point it out if I am wrong, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find you're question confusing. But I think the following will suffice:

(i) A glass has no long-range positional ordering.
(ii) A quasi-crystal has long-range positional ordering, but you can't define a unit cell.
(iii) A disordered alloy (like 50/50 CuAu) consists of well-defined site positions, but randomly (or maybe short-range correlated) atomic occupations on each site. If you ignore the site occupancies, you can still talk of a unit cell.

and ..

(iv) A true crystal; in which case there is a definite, periodically repeated unit cell. In this case all the atoms in the unit cell define the basis, and you can choose any point in one of the unit cells to define the Bravais lattice. If you choose the smallest unit cell possible, then you have a primitive cell and primitive Bravais vectors.

sam bell

What is a Bravais lattice?

A Bravais lattice is a mathematical concept used to describe the pattern of points in a crystal lattice. It consists of a periodic arrangement of points in three-dimensional space.

How are Bravais lattices and base vectors related?

Base vectors are used to describe the orientation and size of a Bravais lattice. They are a set of three vectors that span the lattice and are used to define the unit cell.

What is the difference between a primitive and non-primitive Bravais lattice?

A primitive Bravais lattice has only one lattice point per unit cell, while a non-primitive lattice has multiple lattice points per unit cell. Non-primitive lattices can be created by multiplying the base vectors of a primitive lattice by whole numbers.

How many Bravais lattices are there?

There are 14 Bravais lattices in three-dimensional space, which are classified into seven crystal systems: cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic, triclinic, trigonal, and hexagonal.

What is the significance of Bravais lattices in crystallography?

Bravais lattices are important because they provide a framework for understanding the structure of crystals. They help scientists predict and analyze the physical and chemical properties of materials, which has applications in fields such as material science, chemistry, and engineering.