Modal Analysis - Interpretation of Stability Diagrams

In summary: When doing a modal analysis, you should look for points on the stability diagram that have a significant decrease in correlation function. Once you have located these points, you should look at the frequency values that are greater than the point's frequency. Only values before the point's frequency should be considered. Next, you should look at the imaginary part of the FRF and pick the points that have high amplitude. After doing this, you can begin the analysis. Be aware of anti-resonance when doing this analysis. Good luck!
abiszett
Hello!

I'm doing a modal analysis and I'm trying to extract modal parameters from my aqcuired data. I'm using the Pulse Reflex Software.

I got to the point where the Software provides me with a MIF and a stability diagram and I am to choose the parameters. However, I am unsure how determine the parameter that represents the each mode the best in terms of damping and frequency.

Although there is an auto-pick feature, I don't necessarily want to use it because usually auto-picking isn't as good as doing it yourself ;)

So my question is: How do I determine what mode to pick?

Thanks
abiszett

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Abiszett,
First look where your correlation function decreases significantly,
Find that frequency let's say, F_ds, all values greater than F_ds
should be ignored as the measurement over there is not accurate (due to either you sensor or your hammer tip , your impact or other reasons).
This means that only value before F_ds shoudl be considered.
Now look at your imaginary part of the FRF and pick the ones with high amplitude.

Start your analysi with auto-pick (just to have an idea about the modes)
Than do the steps listed above and compare.

Take care about anti-resonance,

Good luck,

'i have good links but cannot submit here'

Hi,

I think there has been a misunderstanding. For clarification I attached an image, so you can see what I mean. The image shows the Stability diagram overlaid with the CMIF (blue) and a FRF (red). For each points of the stability diagram a value for frequency, damping, and density is provided. The auto-pick feature picks the points that are circled, but I cannot figure out why.
Another software provides a so called mode confidence factor, so there would be a value to go with. But Pulse Reflex somehow does not have such a thing, so I am wondering what attributes to consider for the selection.

If anyone has an idea, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Abiszett

Attachments

• stability-diagram.jpg
    stability-diagram.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 804

1. What is modal analysis?

Modal analysis is a technique used to study the dynamic behavior of a structure or system. It involves analyzing the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping characteristics of a structure to understand its response to external forces or disturbances.

2. What is a stability diagram in modal analysis?

A stability diagram in modal analysis is a graphical representation of the natural frequencies and mode shapes of a structure. It shows the relationship between the structure's parameters, such as mass, stiffness, and damping, and its stability. It helps in understanding the stability of a structure and identifying potential areas of failure.

3. How do you interpret a stability diagram?

To interpret a stability diagram, you need to look at the natural frequencies and mode shapes of a structure. The natural frequencies represent the rate at which the structure vibrates in response to external forces, while the mode shapes represent the shapes of vibration. A stable structure will have distinct and well-separated natural frequencies, while an unstable structure will have closely spaced natural frequencies leading to potential failure.

4. What are the benefits of interpreting stability diagrams in modal analysis?

Interpreting stability diagrams in modal analysis helps in identifying potential failure modes of a structure. It also helps in designing structures with desired stability and avoiding unwanted vibrations. It can also aid in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with existing structures.

5. How is modal analysis used in real-world applications?

Modal analysis is used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering. It is used to design and test structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft, to ensure their stability and safety. It is also used in product development to optimize the performance of mechanical systems and reduce unwanted vibrations.