Do you think Mechatronics Engineering is too broad?

In summary: This conversation summarizes the findings of a survey of employers, students, and self-proclaimed mechatronics engineers. The survey found that there is a lot of demand for mechatronics engineers, but employers would prefer employees with a better knowledge about specific topics. Students who majored in mechatronics in college report that they have a good foundation of understanding in mechanical design, thermal applications, and materials science.
examorph
Mechatronics Engineering is a combination of the three main engineering fields -

Mechanical engineering
Electrical engineering
Computer engineering

EACH of these courses take at least 4 years to cover deeply enough in university but Mechatronics Engineering does them all at once, so my question is, do you think that mechatronics engineering covers enough of the topics or is it better for students to study specific topics such as the ones listed above?

Also as an extra question, Is there much demand for mechatronics engineers or would employers rather employ employees with a better knowledge about specific topics?
Are there specific jobs that are just for mechatronics engineers? I mean mechatronics deals a lot with control systems such as PLC's and SCADA systems, would a mechatronics engineer deal with these or do other engineers also work on these control systems?

Engineering news on Phys.org
When touring the Engineering School many years ago, I was told "If you don't know what type of engineering to go into, then go into Mechanical because it is the broadest field." I didn't know because growing up in a tiny farming community did not give any examples of Engineering fields. But I was always the kid who was tuning up cars and disassembling the family's washing machine. Electricity was mysterious to me, and I had a string of electrical failures that were occasionally exciting. So I chose ME.

I gravitated towards a mixture of engineering topics, and eventually added a Master's in Manufacturing to pursue Factory Automation. I was doing "mechatronics" before anyone called it that. Besides all of the usual ME classes, I also pursued classes & work experiences in:
  • Assembler Language
  • Robotics
  • Manufacturing & Factory Automation, PLC applications, sensors, & instruments
  • Control Systems Theory
  • Industrial Controls, Interfacing, Programming, and connectivity/wiring
  • Business, Finance, & Accounting
  • Written & Spoken Communications

In addition to the automation/controls/robotics stuff of mechatronic technology, I also have a good foundation of understanding in mechanical design, thermal applications, and materials science. You don't list the course requirements for a "Mechatronics Engineering" degree. I suspect that it would focus on the automation/controls/robotics stuff only. You'd have to learn on your own all the other stuff.

1. Is Mechatronics Engineering a broad field?

Yes, Mechatronics Engineering is a very broad field that combines elements of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. It encompasses a wide range of topics including robotics, automation, control systems, and intelligent systems.

2. What makes Mechatronics Engineering a broad field?

Mechatronics Engineering is considered broad because it covers a wide range of disciplines and integrates multiple engineering fields. It requires knowledge and skills in mechanical design, electronics, computer programming, and control systems.

3. Is Mechatronics Engineering a growing field?

Yes, Mechatronics Engineering is a rapidly growing field with increasing demand in various industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and transportation. The advancements in technology and automation have also contributed to the growth of this field.

4. Are there many career opportunities in Mechatronics Engineering?

Yes, there are many career opportunities in Mechatronics Engineering. Graduates can find employment in industries such as automotive, aerospace, robotics, and consumer electronics. They can also work in research and development, product design, and quality control.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in all engineering fields to pursue a career in Mechatronics Engineering?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in all engineering fields to pursue a career in Mechatronics Engineering. However, having a strong foundation in mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering will be beneficial in understanding the interdisciplinary nature of this field. Many universities also offer specialized programs in Mechatronics Engineering for students with a specific engineering background.