Car cylinder-like contraption?

• Thread starter CrossboneSRB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the person needs help understanding how car cylinders work and calculating the forces exerted on the chamber.
CrossboneSRB
All right, I had recently a surge of inspiration to create a very awesome contraption, however, one of the most crucial informations in order to start out the design of this contraption is this car cylinder-like mechanism that it uses, and I have no idea how car cylinders work, and by that I mean the technical aspects, such as how would I calculate how much force is exerted by each explosion of fuel? What information do I need in order to make proper calculations? How do I calculate the perfect mix of fuel, compression and air for this mechanism? How quickly would it burn fuel? By the way, the fuel I'm planning to use is either petrol or diesel due to the fact that it's easy to acquire and the material quite probably aluminium. There's so much to this idea that it's incredible! I really badly need some help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that the best way to understand the process within the engine you must find some simulation of any engine or just cylinder. There is many of them on web. I'll post some web adress in 2h, now need to go. If you can't find any simulation, check the projects of first engines. Like carbon engine...

That's a short video on the basic operations of the combustion chamber.
Doing things like calculating the force exerted on the chamber would not be too difficult to calculate if the real engine worked exactly like it does in the video animation, what I mean is that there is more that happens "behind the scenes" than just the "suck, squash, bang, blow" I mean things like:

Lag
Lead
Overlap

all occur, this bassicly means that the valves are never fully closed, lead meaning the inlet valve is open a tiny bit longer, lag being the exhaust valve being a little bit open while the combustion process is in action and overlap being where they are both open for a few milli- seconds in the middle of the operation, all this will effect the pressures in the combustion chamber and different manufacturers have different times for the lag, lead, overlap, of course this is just one example, there is more than just this which will effect the pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a car cylinder-like contraption?

A car cylinder-like contraption is a component of an internal combustion engine that is responsible for converting fuel into mechanical energy. It consists of a cylindrical chamber with a piston inside that moves up and down to compress and ignite the fuel.

How does the car cylinder-like contraption work?

The car cylinder-like contraption works by following a four-stroke cycle: intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust. During the intake stroke, the piston moves down, allowing a mixture of fuel and air to enter the cylinder. Then, the piston moves up to compress the mixture during the compression stroke. The spark plug then ignites the compressed mixture, causing an explosion that pushes the piston down during the combustion stroke. Finally, the piston moves up again during the exhaust stroke to release the leftover gases from the combustion.

What materials are used to make a car cylinder-like contraption?

Car cylinder-like contraptions are usually made of cast iron or aluminum. The cylinder walls are lined with a material called iron plating, which is designed to withstand the high temperatures and pressures inside the cylinder. The pistons are typically made of aluminum, and the connecting rods are often made of steel.

What are the common problems with a car cylinder-like contraption?

The most common problems with a car cylinder-like contraption are worn or damaged piston rings, burnt or damaged valves, and a cracked or warped cylinder head. These issues can lead to decreased engine performance, loss of power, and even engine failure if not addressed promptly.

Can a car cylinder-like contraption be repaired?

Yes, in most cases, a car cylinder-like contraption can be repaired. If the issue is with the piston rings, valves, or cylinder head, they can be replaced with new ones. However, if the cylinder walls are damaged, the entire engine block may need to be replaced. It is essential to have a trained mechanic inspect and repair any issues with the car cylinder-like contraption to ensure proper functioning of the engine.