How much do I need before I can start dynamics?

• Thread starter vito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
Feedback13. Applications in Mechanical Engineering.In summary, Vinay, a second year mechanical engineering student, is struggling with dynamics and wants to teach himself the basics in two weeks to catch up with his class. He is specifically looking for topics such as particle dynamics with cartesian, normal and tangential, and polar coordinates. An organized list of topics to focus on includes basics of mechanics, Newton's Laws of Motion, and system dynamics.
vito
G'day guys,
I am a second year mechanical engineering student and badly struggled with dynamics this semestre. I will need to know my stuff better but to be honest, I was never taught the basics. To the point, I intend to teach myself over two weeks whatever I need to know so I'm at level with my class. The topics they learned included particle dynamics with cartesian coordinates, normal and tangential coordinates and polar coordinates; all of which I know nothing about.

Could someone help me by telling me the topics I should look into to catch up to this point? An organised list of what things I should learn first would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

V

Engineering news on Phys.org
inayThe topics you should look into to catch up on dynamics include:1. Basics of Mechanics: Kinematics, Kinetics, and Dynamics2. Newton's Laws of Motion3. Work, Energy, and Power4. Momentum and Angular Momentum5. Particle Dynamics with Cartesian Coordinates6. Normal and Tangential Coordinates7. Polar Coordinates8. System Dynamics: Free Body Diagrams and Equations of Motion9. Lagrangian Mechanics10. Linearization and Linearized Models11. Vibrations and Oscillations12. Control Systems

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of forces and motion. It involves understanding how objects move and interact under the influence of forces, such as gravity and friction.

2. How do I know if I have enough knowledge to start learning dynamics?

To start learning dynamics, you need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts. This includes a good understanding of vectors, calculus, and Newton's laws of motion. If you have these prerequisites, then you are ready to start learning dynamics.

3. How much math do I need to know before starting dynamics?

Math is a crucial component of dynamics, so it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. You should also be comfortable with solving equations and manipulating mathematical formulas.

4. Can I start learning dynamics without a physics background?

It is not recommended to start learning dynamics without a basic understanding of physics. Without this foundation, it may be difficult to grasp the concepts and principles of dynamics. It is important to have a good understanding of basic physics concepts, such as force, motion, and energy, before diving into dynamics.

5. Are there any prerequisites before starting dynamics?

In addition to a strong background in mathematics and physics, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of mechanics and kinematics before starting dynamics. This will give you a solid foundation to build upon and make it easier to understand the principles of dynamics.