Question about plasma ignition

In summary: The most common method is by applying an initial or intermittent arc to ignite the plasma. However, not all plasma reactors use an arc to start the process. Some use an RF signal to excite the gas, which then starts the plasma. The exact method for this type of ignition is not well described in textbooks, but it is believed to involve dielectric heating of the gas. It is possible that a small arc is still involved in the ignition process, but further research is needed to confirm this.
gofightwin
Hi,

I am an EE studying some plasma physics. I am doing alright with it, but this question cropped up in my head a few days ago, and I've come to find out that most text-books don't devote a lot of time to it.

I am interested in microfabrication, and plasma reactors are central to a lot of fab. steps, that's sort of what lead me down this path. In microfab., there a lot of plasma tools which rely on an initial or intermittent arc to ignite the plasma, I think this sort of ignition is understandable.

However, I don't think all reactors use an arc to get things started. In some reactors, the gas is still 'excited' by an RF signal, but I think something other than an arc starts things off. Some textbooks just say that this signal excites or heats the gas, etc, and that's about as far as I've gotten.

My best guess so far is that some kind of dielectric heating occurs in the gas, but after this I don't know. Perhaps there is a tiny arc that starts almost ALL plasmas? It doesn't seem like it, but I can't really find a description of this mystery ignition method I'm asking about, ha.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignite?

A plasma is normally formed by ionisation of gas. That can be done in a variety of ways but I've never heard anyone refer to it as 'ignition'. Ignition normally suggests a chemical reaction between oxygen and a flammable material that continues exothermically.

In my experience, a plasma is usually generated and maintained by an external energy source.

1. What is plasma ignition?

Plasma ignition is a technology used to ignite fuel in an internal combustion engine using a high-energy plasma spark instead of a traditional spark plug. It is also known as plasma-assisted combustion or plasma jet ignition.

2. How does plasma ignition work?

Plasma ignition works by using a high-voltage electrical discharge to create a plasma spark in the combustion chamber of an engine. This spark is more intense and efficient than a traditional spark plug, resulting in a more complete and efficient combustion of fuel.

3. What are the benefits of plasma ignition?

The benefits of plasma ignition include improved fuel efficiency, increased power and torque, reduced emissions, and longer engine life. It can also lead to smoother engine operation and easier cold starts.

4. Can plasma ignition be used in any type of engine?

Plasma ignition can be used in a wide range of engines, including gasoline, diesel, and natural gas engines. It is also compatible with different fuel types, such as ethanol and biodiesel.

5. Is plasma ignition a new technology?

While the concept of plasma ignition has been around for decades, it is still considered a relatively new technology in the automotive industry. It is currently being researched and developed by various companies and has shown promising results in improving engine performance and reducing emissions.