Solve Diophantine Equation using Continued Fractions

• Thread starter Zurtex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the example suggests that you solve the Diophantine Equation 83x + 259y = 1 by finding the continued fraction coefficients c0, c1, ... , cn and determining x and y using these coefficients. This continued fraction represents the fractional part of the equation 83x + 259y = 1. Then, the equation can be cross-multiplied to get the complete result. The sign of the result is then determined.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm about to do a test in a couple of days on a course titled "Topics in Pure and Experimental Maths". I was looking over some of the examples we have been given and I have utterly forgotten how to solve Diophantine Equations using Continued Fractions, could some one point me on the right track with this example please:

83x + 259y = 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks but that doesn't really help at all.

Zurtex said:
I'm about to do a test in a couple of days on a course titled "Topics in Pure and Experimental Maths". I was looking over some of the examples we have been given and I have utterly forgotten how to solve Diophantine Equations using Continued Fractions, could some one point me on the right track with this example please:

83x + 259y = 1
Continued fractions can be applied to solve Diophantine Equations of the type:
a*x + b*y = 1
where "a" and "b" are given relatively prime positive integers, and "x" and "y" are required integer solutions.
(Note: Above Diophantine Equation with "1" on the right side has integer solutions only if "a" and "b" are relatively prime. More generally, the Diophantine Equation {a*x + b*y = w} will have integer solutions only if GCD(a,b) divides "w".)
Technique will be illustrated with the following example:
(83)*x + (259)*y = 1

STEP 1: Determine Continued Fraction for {a/b}
Results will be equivalent whether {a/b} or {b/a} continued fraction is determined. However, it's easier when the quotient is greater than 1. Thus, for this example, {259/83} continued fraction will be found. Let the continued fraction coefficients be designated c0, c1, ... , cn. Then it's required to find c's such that:
{259/83} = c0 + 1/c1+1/c2+1/ ... 1/cn-1+1/cn

Coefficients are found using successive quotients involving remainder terms:
{259/83} = 3 + 10/83 -----> c0 = 3
{83/10} = 8 + 3/10 -----> c1 = 8
{10/3} = 3 + 1/3 -----> c2 = 3
{3/1} = 3 -----> c3 = 3
::: ⇒ {259/83} = 3 + (1/(8 + 1/(3 + 1/3)))

STEP 2: Evaluate Continued Fraction Without Final Term
Continued fraction's last term is dropped, and the new FRACTION it represents is determined:
{259/83} = 3 + (1/(8 + 1/(3 + 1/3)))
3 + (1/(8 + 1/(3 + 0))) = {78/25}

STEP 3: Cross-Multiply And Determine Sign
{259/83} ~ {78/25}:
(259)*(25) = (6475)
(78)*(83) = (6474)
Thus, x=(-78) and y=(25):
(83)*(-78) + (259)*(25) = 1

~~

Last edited:

1. What is a Diophantine equation?

A Diophantine equation is a polynomial equation in two or more variables where the coefficients and solutions are restricted to integers. These types of equations were studied by the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus, hence the name.

2. What are continued fractions?

Continued fractions are a method of writing a rational number as a sequence of integers, with each integer being the numerator of a fraction. This sequence can continue infinitely, hence the name "continued fraction".

3. How can continued fractions be used to solve Diophantine equations?

By converting the Diophantine equation into a continued fraction, it is possible to find a rational solution that satisfies the equation. This is because continued fractions can provide an approximation for irrational numbers, making it easier to find a rational solution.

4. What is the process for solving a Diophantine equation using continued fractions?

The process involves converting the equation into a continued fraction, then finding the convergents (partial fractions) of the continued fraction. These convergents can be used to find rational solutions to the equation. The process may need to be repeated several times until a satisfactory solution is found.

5. Are there any limitations to using continued fractions to solve Diophantine equations?

Yes, continued fractions may not always provide a rational solution to a Diophantine equation. In some cases, there may be no rational solution or the solution may be too large to be practical. Additionally, the process of finding convergents can become increasingly complex for higher degree equations.