Fermi Distribution: Explaining QM POV w/ Wave Functions

In summary, the conversation is about the Fermi distribution and the different approaches to understanding it from a quantum mechanics perspective. The main point of contention is whether to start from the wave functions and the antisymmetrization requirement for fermions, or to use the idea that each energy eigenstate can only have one particle due to the Pauli exclusion principle. The speaker also mentions the mean field approach and its limitations, particularly in the case of superconductors.
aaaa202
I have posted questions similar to this over the past week, but I have never had a satisfactory answer.
It is about the fermi distribution. From hyperphysics: "We picture all the levels up to the Fermi energy as filled, but no particle has a greater energy. This is entirely consistent with the Pauli exclusion principle where each quantum state can have one but only one particle."
First of all this picture has got to be wrong. In QM there is no such thing as this or that particle, though I guess it is understandable that you picture the fermi distribution as a lot distinct particles occupying the different energystates up to the fermi energy.
I however, want to understand the fermi distribution from a QM point of view. It's all got to start with the wave functions antisymmetrization requirement for fermions (after all the pauli principle is derived from this).
However, it just seems that all the derivations of the Fermi distribution that I have seen this is not the starting point but rather use the same idea as the quote above. That is: Instead of starting from the wave functions they will say something like this: Suppose we have n particles. For each energy eigenstate only one electron can occupy it due to the Pauli principle (spin is neglected here).
But this is QM! A particle does not necessarily have to be in an energy eigenstate. Let's label the first two energy-eigen states by e1 and e2. Then the wave functions:
ae1 + be2, ce1 + de2, fe1+ge2 ... are all allowed.
So how on Earth can it be the right approach to simply start with the general idea that each electron can only occupy one eigenstate and work the combinatorics from there (noone would know if God has distributed the electrons among eigenstates or among linear combinations of eigenstates)..
This annoys me so much. Please try to explain what I am thinking wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main reason behind this is the mean field approach: You assume that the interaction of the particles can be taken into account via an effective potential which is more or less the same for each particle, especially in the limit of infinite system size. So you expect to find the ground state of the many electron system to be composed of one electron states where the lowest states are filled up consistent with the Pauli principle.
You are right that this does not always work. For example in superconductors an infinitely weak attractive attraction of the electrons is enough to produce a ground state which can be shown to be orthogonal to the mean field ground state. That's why it took so long to find a microscopic explanation for superconductivity and BCS getting the nobel prize.

1. What is the Fermi distribution and how does it relate to quantum mechanics?

The Fermi distribution, also known as the Fermi-Dirac distribution, is a statistical distribution that describes the probability of finding particles in different energy states in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it explains the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons.

2. What is the significance of the wave function in the Fermi distribution?

The wave function, also known as the quantum state, is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude of a particle at a specific energy state. In the Fermi distribution, the square of the wave function gives the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state. It is a crucial aspect in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

3. How does the Fermi distribution explain the behavior of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium?

The Fermi distribution states that at thermal equilibrium, particles with half-integer spin will occupy the lowest energy states first and then gradually fill up higher energy states. This explains why, at room temperature, electrons in a solid material occupy different energy levels within the material's band structure, resulting in the material's characteristic properties, such as conductivity and magnetism.

4. Can the Fermi distribution be applied to other particles aside from electrons?

Yes, the Fermi distribution can be applied to any particles with half-integer spin, such as protons, neutrons, and other fermions. However, it does not apply to particles with integer spin, such as photons, which follow the Bose-Einstein distribution.

5. How does the Fermi distribution relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The Fermi distribution explains this by showing that the wave function, which gives information about a particle's position, becomes more spread out as the particle's energy increases. This means that the uncertainty in the particle's position also increases, in accordance with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.