Trial-and-Error with thermodynamics tables

In summary, the method being discussed is a common iteration method used in thermodynamics to solve equations with incomplete information. It involves making an initial guess and using tables and equations to progressively approximate the desired variables. However, if the process does not converge, the initial guess may have been incorrect.
ShizukaSm
I know there`s a method in thermodynamics when you need two variables, have one state equation and know one information of the final state, where you can progressively approximate and discover the two wanted variables. I know about that because my professor did it in class, and while I also admit that it's a stretch come here with incomplete information, I couldn't find any information about the method, I can't replicate and I feel it's really important (I failed to copy it, as you might imagine)

Now, to provide an example of what I am talking about, here's the situation where it was originally applied: (it was a cilinder with vapor, a piston and a linear coil, but that's irrelevant)
I knew that:
[itex]P_2-P_1=\frac{km}{A^2}\left(v_2-v_1\right)[/itex]
[itex]P = \text{Pressure}; k = \text{Hook's constant};A = \text{Piston area};m = \text{Vapor mass};v = \text{Specific volume}[/itex]
I also had the temperature at state 2 ([itex]T2[/itex])

The point is, we're supposed to do the calculation using paper and real tables, so the method was more or less like that:
Guess a value(P or v), look in the table with temperature (e.g. P,T), get specific volume (in the table) and input it again in the formula, it will spit out another P, then I look it up again (P,T) and so on, it's supposed to converge to a value.

Unfortunately, whenever I try it doesn't really converge, it diverges to absurd and impossible values and I believe I am doing it in a completely wrong way. Is this a widely know method? I apologize to come here with so scarce information, but you guys are my last hope on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iteration? That is a very common method to solve equations if there is no analytic way (or the analytic method is too complicated).
If the process does not converge, the initial choice could have been bad.

What is trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables?

Trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables is a problem-solving method used in chemistry and physics. It involves using thermodynamics tables to find the most probable values for unknown variables in an equation or system.

How do I use trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables?

To use trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables, you first need to identify the variables in your equation or system. Then, look for the values of those variables in the thermodynamics tables. Plug in the values and see if they fit the equation or system. If not, adjust the values and repeat the process until you find a suitable solution.

What are the limitations of trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables?

Trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables can be time-consuming and may not always result in an accurate solution. It also assumes that the values in the thermodynamics tables are correct, which may not always be the case.

When is trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables most useful?

Trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables is most useful when there is no other method available to solve a problem. It can also be helpful when working with complex equations or systems that have several unknown variables.

Are there any tips for using trial-and-error with thermodynamics tables?

It is important to have a good understanding of thermodynamics and the variables involved in the problem. Start with reasonable values for the unknown variables and make small adjustments as needed. It can also be helpful to use multiple thermodynamics tables to cross-check your solutions.