Stress transformation, shear stress state, Mohr's circle c/work

In summary: Yes, I was able to use the results to substitute into the equation for the principal stresses and obtain τxy (together with the rest of the solution).
Brendanmcg

Homework Statement

DIAGRAM ATTACHED AT BOTTOM

Q. The following statements are true for an element in plane stress state. (this is 2D)
(1) one of the principle stresses is 40Mpa;
(2) σx= -2τxy; (the algebraic values)
(3) in x'oy' with θ=30°, the two normal stresses σx'=σy'

Determine:
(a)σx,σy,τxy;
(b)the principle stress state, and sketch it on an element;
(c)the maximum in-plane(xoy) shear stress state and sketch it on an element;
(d)the absolute maximum shear stress.

Homework Equations

ok i haven't been given a set of equations specifically for these questions because its a course work, but my tutor heavily implied i should use Mohr's circle, I've been trying and i have identified I am going to have to obviously use Trig relationships and Algebra but apart from that I am totally lost. il insert the transformation equations i think might be useful. But obviously doing this with Mohr's circle the majority aren't really needed.

Pinciple Stresses

σx'= (σx+σy)/2 +(σx-σy)/2 cos2θ+τxysin2θ

τx'y'= -(σx-σy)/2 sin2θ+τxycos2θ

max/min in-plane normal stress:

σ1,2=(σx+σy)/2 +/-√((σx-σy)/2)^2 + τxy^2
the bit that's taking the sq root is obviously R in Mohr's circle

Max in-plane Shear Stress

τmax=R

Max in-Plane shear stress orientation:

tan 2θs= -(σx-σy)/2τxy θs1=θp1-45°

The Attempt at a Solution

Any question i have done like this before all principle stresses have been given, I am pretty lost without them... trail an error has led me to believe σy=40Mpa but apart from that I've been drawing Mohr's circles and getting lost in algebra and trig... HELP PLEASE! if any more info is needed just ask. its due in on tuesday and I've wasted 5days on dead ends... it surely couldn't be as hard as I am making it.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• stress diagram.jpg
    stress diagram.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your equation for σy'?
I wouldn't use Mohr's circle. This can be done algebraically. From (2) and (3) you have enough information to express σx and σy in terms of τxy. You can then use (1) to solve for τxy.

Last edited:
i didnt have an equation for σy but...

if σx=-2τxy then τxy= σx/-2

if one of the principle stresses are 40Mpa, if we assume σx is 40Mpa then τxy= -20Mpa

so, knowing the angle and assuming τxy is 40Mpa, using mohrs circle and trig functions it just wasn't looking correct.

i then started using transformation equations and this is what I've came up with... anyone care to shed any light, if I am going wrong?

Attachments

• Photo 29-11-2013 15 32 25.jpg
    Photo 29-11-2013 15 32 25.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 506
  • Photo 29-11-2013 15 33 27.jpg
    Photo 29-11-2013 15 33 27.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 466
p.s. sorry about the pics being side ways... cheers

I wasn't able to follow what you did on the attachments, but here's what I considered. You would like to express (σxy) and (σxy) in terms of τxy. Then you can substitute these into the equation for the principal stresses to solve for τxy.
You already indicated that
xy)=(σ'x+σ'y)
From the condition for the stresses at 30 degrees, you have at 30 degrees:
xy)=2σ'x=(σxy)+(σxy)cos(60)+2τxysin(60)
From this, it follows that
xy)=-2τxytan(60)
You also know that σx=-2τxy
From the last two equations, it follows that
xy)=2τxy(tan(60)-2)
Now I would substitute these results for (σxy) and (σxy) in terms of τxy into the equation for the principal stress and solve for τxy. I would do it for both the plus sign and the minus sign.

Chet

Thanks Chet...

realized my maths was terrible in those attachments... lol corrected my maths but that's just left me with a dead end. eughhhhh!

cant tell where you said i implied (σx+σy)=(σx'+σy') came from...?

Brendanmcg said:
Thanks Chet...

cant tell where you said i implied (σx+σy)=(σx'+σy') came from...?

Check out the second equation in your first attachment.

Also, we know that the sum of the diagonal elements of the stress tensor is an invariant. For example, the sum of the principal stresses is also equal to (σx+σy).

Were you able to use the results I derived in terms of τxy to substitute into the equation for the principal stresses and obtain τxy (together with the rest of the solution)?

Chet

1. What is stress transformation and why is it important?

Stress transformation is the process of converting stresses acting on a material from one coordinate system to another. It is important in engineering and materials science because different coordinate systems may be more convenient for analyzing stress and strain in a particular situation.

2. What is a shear stress state?

A shear stress state is a type of stress state in which the stresses acting on a material are primarily shear stresses, as opposed to normal stresses. These shear stresses cause the material to deform and can lead to failure if they exceed the material's shear strength.

3. How is Mohr's circle used to analyze stress?

Mohr's circle is a graphical method for representing and analyzing stress states. It allows us to visualize the principal stresses and the orientation of the principal planes, which are important for understanding how a material will deform under stress.

4. What is the relationship between Mohr's circle and the principal stresses?

Mohr's circle is constructed using the principal stresses as coordinates. The circle's center represents the average stress, and its radius represents the difference between the maximum and minimum principal stresses. The circle also allows us to determine the orientation of the principal planes.

5. How can Mohr's circle be used to determine the maximum shear stress?

The maximum shear stress in a material occurs on a plane that is at a 45-degree angle to the principal planes. By drawing this plane on Mohr's circle, we can determine the maximum shear stress as half the distance between the circle's center and its circumference at that point.