Preparing for PhD Quals: Tips and Support for Upcoming Exams

• Programs
  • Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation is about upcoming exams and someone's personal experience with them. They mention having exams on Thursday and Friday, and then someone else joins in and talks about their upcoming quals. They offer advice on focusing on one or two important topics and not wasting time on many topics. The conversation ends with someone sharing that they just took their written exam for EE.
robousy
Anyone else got these coming up?

A whole sh*tload of work needed to prepare for them. I sooo don't feel ready.
Anyway, I have mine on Thursday and Friday.

Anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
robousy said:
Anyone else got these coming up?

A whole sh*tload of work needed to prepare for them. I sooo don't feel ready.
Anyway, I have mine on Thursday and Friday.

Anyone else?
I have them too. Analysis on June 1 and Topology on June 3...you?

them's were the days (mine was EE, not physics). i don't envy you.

rbj said:
them's were the days (mine was EE, not physics). i don't envy you.
I do envy you. I never finished high school, and I would kill to be in your position. Regardless, I wish you the best in your assault upon the citadels of education. In return, I ask only that you might occassionaly help me out when I need advice.

Quals are this coming thursday and friday.
1) Classical Mechanics
2) Quantum Mech.
3) Electromagnetism
4) Math Phys/Statistical mech/general.

Thanks for the best wishes on my assault in the citadel of education Danger!

robousy said:
Thanks for the best wishes on my assault in the citadel of education Danger!
I know that you'll do me proud, lad. :approve:

just a modest suggestion. if you feel not fully ready, i suggest targeting one, possibly two, important topics you feel unprepared on, and focusing on that. choose something that always has a question devoted to it. i suspect there is not enough time left to do more than that. a good PhD question cannot be answered unless you understand it well. so it is probably a waste of time to peruse many topics shallowly.

I just took the written part of mine today (for EE).

What are PhD quals?

PhD quals, short for PhD qualifications, are exams or assessments that students must pass in order to advance to the next stage of their PhD program.

When do PhD quals typically take place?

The timing of PhD quals can vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, they take place after completing coursework and before beginning the dissertation phase.

What is the purpose of PhD quals?

The purpose of PhD quals is to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of their field of study. It also serves as a way to ensure that students are prepared to conduct independent research for their dissertation.

How are PhD quals structured?

The structure of PhD quals varies depending on the program, but it often includes both written and oral components. The written portion may consist of essay questions or research proposals, while the oral portion may involve a presentation or defense of the written work.

What happens if a student does not pass their PhD quals?

If a student does not pass their PhD quals, they may be given the opportunity to retake the exam or make revisions to their work. Some programs may also offer the option to switch to a non-PhD master's degree or leave the program altogether.